Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"A serious error has occurred." when import a CAD file

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
danielfolk
2823 Views, 5 Replies

"A serious error has occurred." when import a CAD file

I'm trying to import a CAD file into my model and everytime I do this I get the dredded "A serious error has occurred." message.  Anyone know why or how I can fix this so I can import it?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
luseche
in reply to: danielfolk

I would open the DWG file in CAD, Then PUGRGE ALL, AUDIT, and SAVE,

Then I will try again to import it in REVIT.

Good Luck

Luis

Message 3 of 6
danielfolk
in reply to: luseche

I've tried that but get the same error message. I have other dwgs in the model already but can't seem to insert this one.

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
Message 4 of 6
ennujozlagam
in reply to: danielfolk

Check if ur dwg have xref files bind first.before u attach to revit

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 5 of 6
danielfolk
in reply to: ennujozlagam

I figured out a way around it.  I created a new drawing in AutoCAD and copied the information that I needed from the old .dwg to a new .dwg and it imported correctly.  Evidently something didn't jive in the original .dwg that was causing the error.

Message 6 of 6

In my case I narrowed it down to two layers in the DWG file.

I could not determine if it was one or the other, I had to delete all objects on both layers and purge the drawing before the DWG would import without error.  Eliminateing one or the other layer had no effect.

The method I wound up using after all else failed was this:

1. Delete half the layers  in the DWG and purge
  2. Try to insert
  3. If it worked, then the issue was with some aspec of those layers
  4. Now delete half of THOSE layers and try again

Narrowed it dwn in about a half a dozen rounds (not bad for a drawing with several hundred layers...)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report