Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions setting up Revit Server 2015

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
danbrown1888
395 Views, 3 Replies

Questions setting up Revit Server 2015

Hello Revit Experts - I'm pretty new to doing IT support for architecture and had some questions about how a Revit server should be setup.  I would very much appreciate any assistance with the following:

1) We have two locations about 30 miles apart connected with a 10mb MPLS WAN.  It's a small company so we might have maybe 4-5 people working on any one Revit project simultaneously.  Revit files are currently hosted at both locations on standard Windows file servers and there is frequent collaboration between employees at both sites.  Considering this environment would it be best to install the host, accelerator, and admin roles at both sites?

2) Revit Files are currently saved along with a multitude of other project related files in nested folders.  How do I get these existing project files to show up on the Revit server?  Can I link to existing Revit files on the file server or must the Revit projects all be hosted on a local drive on the Revit server?

3) Can the host and accelerator roles be on the same server?

That's it for now, thanks in advance for any assistance!

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dzanta
in reply to: danbrown1888

HI Dan,

Here are some answers to your questions:

1) We have two locations about 30 miles apart connected with a 10mb MPLS WAN.  It's a small company so we might have maybe 4-5 people working on any one Revit project simultaneously.  Revit files are currently hosted at both locations on standard Windows file servers and there is frequent collaboration between employees at both sites.  Considering this environment would it be best to install the host, accelerator, and admin roles at both sites?

Answer:  If you have a BIM Manager for each site that wishes to perform Admin level work on the Revit Server, then having Revit Server installed as a Host, Accelerator and Admin on both locations is ideal.  If you only have one BIM Manager, usually the Revit Server is installed as Admin on one location.

2) Revit Files are currently saved along with a multitude of other project related files in nested folders.  How do I get these existing project files to show up on the Revit server?  Can I link to existing Revit files on the file server or must the Revit projects all be hosted on a local drive on the Revit server.?

Answer:  In order to take existing Revit Central Files and move them to the Revit Server, you will open the Central File as normal then save as a new Central model within Revit Server from within the Saveas dialog box (lower left corner).  The default location of the Cache and Projects folder for Revit Server resides within the main root of the hard drive you install it on.  It is possible to change this location when you initially install the software.  See this link....

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-B4C2C529-26D8-461B-B06A-7E65744A3C72

3) Can the host and accelerator roles be on the same server?

Answer:  yes

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Community | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | LinkedIn

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Message 3 of 4
danbrown1888
in reply to: dzanta

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly dzanta!  A follow up question:  The link you included had this to say about updating the path for file storage:

7.(optional) Under Data Storage, If you want to use network-attached storage and have set up a RevitServerService domain user account (see System Requirements), select Store data remotely on a network server, and then enter the domain and password for that account.
Note: If you opt to store data remotely, the paths for the Cache and Projects folders must be fully qualified UNC paths. Mapped drives will not be accepted.

If I choose to keep the Revit files where they are now on the file server and configure the Revit server with the options to access them there, how much of a difference would it make to overall performance?  I'm reluctant to move all of the Revit project folders over to a different machine other than the file server as it would split the projects up into different locations (we also use autocad architecture and save projects togther in the same network drive).  These project folder also contain a number of nested subfolders with related documents, pictures, and correspondence.  How can I keep the same organizational structure as we use now while also using the Revit server?

Message 4 of 4
dzanta
in reply to: danbrown1888

Performance should be fine. Typical open/save times of Central Files within Revit Server are less than 100-200ms. If you move the Revit Project folders to a different machine, you will effectively cause headache because the central files and associates files (links, etc.) will be broken. You should be able to tell Revit Server during installation to use your existing file/folder location for cache and projects.

Revit Server only handles Revit Central files. It cannot handle ACA files. I would keep the ACA/CAD Based files/workflow on your file server.

Dzan Ta, ACI
Applications Engineer

Repro Products, Inc.

4485 Atlanta Road

Smyrna, GA 30080

Main: (770) 434-3050

Support: (678) 486-3171

Fax: (770) 434-4218

[cid:image001.jpg@01D02B30.307939E0]

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Community | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | LinkedIn

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report