Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

put sheets in order for printing

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
HVAC-Novice
10520 Views, 14 Replies

put sheets in order for printing

Half of my problem has been discussed here and is resolved. However the other half isn't.

the problem is the sheets are named A... C... E... for the disciplines. But I want to order them the way I want (i.e. Civil sheets before ArchitecNEW 3-1/2" METAL STUDWALL WITH 3" POLYISO FOAMtural sheets.). I know how to sort them in the project browser and the sheetlist (with the paramters).This works to the point that I can order them the way I want in the project browser. This is the part that has been discussed here and all over the WWW. 

However, when I print them they don't print int he same order, they still print in the alphabetical order. So the A-sheets coem before C-sheets etc. And this is the part I haven't found a solution for. 

My workaround would be to just name them alphabetically, or even assign a "1" etc. in front of the "A".. but this doesn't look good. Sheet"1-C 100", "2-A100" etc. 

Revit version: R2024.2
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
CoreyDaun
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

If you're on subscription, have you investigated the "Batch Print for Autodesk 2013" Extension?

I don't believe that there is a way to get the sheets to display in the desired order within Revit's Print dialog. I developed a convoluted method (explained here) that used a different parameter to display the sheet number, so that the real Sheet Number parameter can be changed to cater to the desired order, similar to what you mentioned. The flaw to this is that any references will display the real Sheet Number, not the fake one.

Another method (which we use here) is to print each discipline separately (using Sheet Sets) and then use another software to combine them into a single file, in the case of electronic files.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 15
rosskirby

We always export to DWF first, then combine any consultants sheets (also DWFs), re-order as necessary in Design Review, then print.  

Benefits:

•  A digital record copy (with live links to views/details)
  • Order the sheets however we want
  • Mark them up and import as an overlay into our Revit model sheets
  • Collate function in Design Review actually works

Drawbacks:

• Not everyone is as comfortable exporting to or using DWFs as we are, so there's always some hesitancy to accept this method, although most usually come around after they see the benefits.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 4 of 15
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: rosskirby

Thanks to both of you for the answers. I think both mehtods would require to create a proper sheet list (on first sheet etc.) with parameters. and then to manually sort them out. 

Both your methods seem like good warokarounds. But it seems cumbersome and prone to making some mistake. Especially when one keeps adding or deleting sheets in a project. Kind of contradicting the Revise instantly idea. I hope Revit comes up with a better solution. If I could just drag the sheets around in the browser and it woudl print that way would be ideal.

For the time being I think i just name them alphabetically. Originally I planned to call Arch-demo drawings "AD". but I guess I just call them A100, and the new construction A200 etc.and M-sheets just will be behind E-sheets.  This surely is a poor lack of fucntion in Revit. 

Message 5 of 15
Base12

So many propeller heads will screetch, "IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE AUTOCAD"... which <shakes head, tiredly> I get.  I get it.  I get it.  However, there are over 100 productive features in Autocad that could be so easily adopted to Revit -- in this case, the drag-and-drop functionality of the Autocad Sheet Set Manager (both in displaying, catorgorizing (wow, what a concept!!) and publishing).  Why doesn't the Revit Sheet list work exactly the same way?  It could, and it should.  It seems like a curse to have to use 10-year old mentality to solve a modern problem.  Revit is "The Greatest Design Software in the World", except you still need an intern, or a minimum-wage flunkie to stand at the print table and sort the plots when they come out of the machine.  Progress, Autodesk, it's what we pay you for.  Come on!

Message 6 of 15
cwinches
in reply to: Base12

Agreed. This function needed to be in Revit yesterday. Batch Print is only good for not printing to PDF (Which most prints are these days). Exporting to DWF is not really saving any time since you would be manually rearranging sheets anyway in the PDF. Bad revit. Baaaaad Revit. Please fix this feature. It's a huge time suck. Which means not being able to arrange your sheets before printing to PDF...sucks.

Message 7 of 15
mastjaso
in reply to: cwinches

Jesus christ how is this still not fixed and why does Revit allow you to sort your project browser and sort your sheet schedule in different orders but doesn't let you print in that order???

Anyways, another workaround if people need is to create multiple print sets and combine your pdfs after. So we did a symbol legend / demo print set and then a new print set. After printing we append the new set to the demo in bluebeam. 

Message 8 of 15
David_W_Koch
in reply to: mastjaso

If you have the CAD or eXtreme version of Bluebeard Revu, you can use the Revit plug-in to set up your print order.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 9 of 15
cwinches
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Bluebeam is helpful, but does not create the bookmarks in the order that you choose for printing - these end up going by the default order. Bluebeam has a host of other glitches too especially for 3D views that make it a bit dodgey at times. At the end of the day, Revit needs the ability to order sheets for printing, and the ability to create a naming convention for the printed items.

Message 10 of 15
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: cwinches

You also need to subscribe to Bluebeam to get the plugin for the current Revit version. For a PDF editor you normally don't subscribe since they are good enough for many years.

I have Bluebbam 2015, but Revit 2017, so no go for me.

I use Bluebeam to manually sort my sheets, though 🙂

Message 11 of 15

still have this issue. would be great if I can custom order the sheet set within Revit and not have to go through the step in Bluebeam. can Dynamo accomplish this??

Message 12 of 15
RobDraw
in reply to: MPA-Account-01

You can with an add-in called Batch Print. It's been around for years.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 13 of 15
MPA-Account-01
in reply to: RobDraw

great, thanks.

it doesn't work for jobs on C4R though. Do you have a solution for that?

Message 14 of 15
RobDraw
in reply to: MPA-Account-01

Nope.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 15 of 15
elementbitlab

Here's a workflow using Revit Plugin as well a desktop version to merge PDF file in order using file excel.

https://youtu.be/DMAeYXrHFrI?list=PLVD3D0j9RpUv3qGU8IAwIr9IX5wvGsOmV

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report