Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Browser and Properties

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
octavio2
1978 Views, 10 Replies

Project Browser and Properties

I like to have the Revit drawing window on the monitor in from of me and the second monitor to the right to always have the Project Browser and the Properties dialog.

In Revit 2012, the Project Browser and Properties always remained on the second monitor to the right even after I restarted Revit and opened families, etc., like if these were locked in that positon.

However, I notice that since using Revit 2013, the Project Browser and Properties always appear on at startup at the beginning of each Revit session, but these reverts back to the front drawing monitor, and also after opening the family editors, etc., they are also located again on the center monitor.  Every time that I begin a new Revit session I have to move these to the right monitor.

Is there a way or a setting to "lock" the Project Browser and Properties to always remain on the second right monitor where I want them?

Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
vector2
in reply to: octavio2

It doesn't look like anyone is going to reply to this one, so
here's maybe better than nothing.

Most software programs including Revit try to accommodate
two or even three monitors. I've used two monitors many times.
This seems to be very subjective, and I certainly don't have
the right answer. But I flat-out abandoned using two monitors
on one computer long ago. There just seems to be no end to the
managment issues with more than one monitor. If you really want
a lot of canvas space AND the project browser open AND the
properties dialog open, then you might want a super-wide HD
screen. That way you only have one screen to manage. Also with
one screen, the mouse stays confined within the boundaries of
the one monitor, which to me makes the mouse easier to control.

Now after having said all that, I DO have a second monitor, but
it's not part of my main computer. My main computer is 1440x900,
with lots of room for the project browser being open, but not
also the properties dialog. My second monitor with its own
computer and second mouse, has a 1024x768 15 inch monitor

that I use for reading and reference. I don't know if I'll keep this
arrangement forever, but it's been pretty good for nearly a year.

Again, I hope this is better than nothing.

Message 3 of 11
teddougan

I recently ran into the same issue with my second montior in 2012. Everything had been working fine until a recent windows update so I think it may be a driver issue. I've been running dual monitors for years both at work and home and this is the first issues I've ever run into. I wouldn't give up the second monitor as one poster suggested just need to find the right monitor driver to correct the issue. If I have any luck I'll update this post.

Cheers

Message 4 of 11
octavio2

Spoiler

Seems like an issue now, given that some people use two monitors.

I keep having to go back and forth moving, relocating, and manipulating the Properties and Project Browser every time that I switch back and forth from the Floor Plan window (or main drawing window) to the Family editor window.

Maybe this is something that should be solved in Revit independently of the driver and operating version used so we could move and 'lock" the Properties and Browser any where we want and 'lock" them so they would not move.

Thanks, Vector and Ted for responding (Ted, if you ever find a solution, look forward for you to post it).

Message 5 of 11
u0359492

I just want to say I am in the same boat, and it is getting annoying.

Message 6 of 11
m.haney
in reply to: u0359492

it's infuriating...  same issue here.  I don't understand why Revit cannot allow you to save your workspace as it does in AutoCAD...  the problem seems to only affect a few people, or perhaps only a few are mad enough about it to do something...  but the most logical thing is to allow workspaces and profiles to be created/saved/imported/exported in the same manner as AutoCAD...  it would make life much simpler for a LOT of people...

Message 7 of 11
terryjob
in reply to: m.haney

I just recently loaded Revit 2020 and am not able to fix (so it stays there when I restart Revit) my project browser or properties window on my second monitor as I was able to do on Revit 2018. This stall works on 2018 on the same computer. Has something changed in 2020? Thanks.

Terry
Message 8 of 11
TripleM-Dev.net
in reply to: terryjob

We'll need a bit more info, hardware, windows version, useraccount settings (limited configs due to company policy)

I'm not sure if the setting is saved in the Windows registry or the Revit.Ini file.

I've heard of companies that have the registry not saved back to the useraccount, so after logoff it's all reset to defaults. (maybe not the case here, if it happens after each revit restart during same windows session.)

If you dock the panels on the other side, does it stay there? (Tracking down Revit Config issue or Second monitor issue)

If it happens after each revit restart (and not only after a Windows restart) then maybe a addin that resets stuff?

Message 9 of 11
terryjob
in reply to: TripleM-Dev.net

Windows 10 pro, Dell Precision T3600, Nvidia Quadro K4000.

I am not sure I am docking the browser & properties windows on the other monitor, It doesn't appear to "dock" like on the monitor with Revit on it.

Terry
Message 10 of 11
terryjob
in reply to: terryjob

Anybody else had this same experience? Were you able to "fix" things?

Terry
Message 11 of 11
cadman90

I think I figured this out.  This worked for me in all versions I have on my computer (2019, 2020, and 2021).  You open the program and set up the Properties and System Browser (guessing it works on more than one).  Then you close the program (Revit not the Dialog Boxes) with the "X" up in the top right corner of the window.  When you do this it saves the location of the dialog boxes.  When you open Revit again the Dialog boxes are where you placed them.

I have an Radeon 5700xt and an amd processor 3900x so maybe this is a bug thing for amd chips.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report