Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Families and other

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
manel.prat
315 Views, 4 Replies

Problems with Families and other

First thanks to take your time for me, 

I had the problem that I have a new laptop but it seems that it have not enought ram space to install all the library, I tried to install everything in a external hard drive but it did not allowed me, so I canceled the family library installation and I install the rest of the program. 

I started a Revit course, and I am starting to discovering my mistake, because there are no templates, where the levels and the section does not exist, of course I don't have families, and I don't know what I will discover in the future.

My question is, is it possible to install the library in a external hard drive?  Because right now I am trying to do it, but I don't find the possiblity to re-install all the families. 

Apart of advicing me to buy a new computer, which right now I cannot afford it, could you give me some advices?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
BalajiHTI
in reply to: manel.prat

Straight to the Point: You can insert the families(*.rfa) into a Revit Project or create a Fresh Project from a Project template (*rte) or even create a Revit family from a Revit Family Template (*.rft) whether you chose to include the library into your installation directory or not.

First of all, there is nothing to be INSTALLED. You can keep these Families, Project Templates, Family Templates in an external Hard Disk and insert into your current project whenever required. RAM of your system has nothing to do with these files.
Message 3 of 5
David_W_Koch

If you have insufficient local hard drive space to hold the Revit content, you should be able to have it installed elsewhere.  I have never tried to do so to an external hard drive, but we have done so to a network drive, which should not be any different.  It is definitely possible if you create a deployment, but I believe you can also modify the content location when doing a stand-alone installation.

At worst, if you can temporarily make room to install the files on your local hard drive, you can move the libraries and other content files to the external drive, and then change the locations in the Options dialog.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 5
manel.prat
in reply to: David_W_Koch

So do you recommend me to desinstall the Revit, and install it again in a external drive?

Message 5 of 5
David_W_Koch

That could be one approach.  Not sure if you just tried to do a repair installation or a reinstallation over the current one whether you would have an opportunity to redirect the content folders.  You will not want to install the entire program on the external hard drive, just the content files.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report