Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems switching between views

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
520 Views, 15 Replies

Problems switching between views

I have a question regarding a discrepancy of information when changing between views. As you will see in the screen cast when I view the model in 3D view the kitchen countertop is how I want it to look wrapping around the entire kitchen wall.
However, when I switch views and go to the plan view the kitchen countertop is completely different. As you will see it is shorter than what is showing in the 3d view.
Many thanks for any help in advance.

here is the link:http://screencast.com/t/Xhipu8SpI6

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: Anonymous

Look in Family Editor > Visibility Settings.

More than sure that you have  Masking Region (Image 002) set to be seen in Plan View and the  model is seen only in 3d View and Elevations (Image001)

Image001

Image001.png

Image 002

Image 002.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

The PLAN/RCP was untick and i put the mark on it and the counter top changed in the plan view but not in total becouse in the edit family i have it as i want it but it still looking different on the plan and in the 3D view.

here is the link: http://screencast.com/t/BQjizwjHc9it

Message 4 of 16
constantin.stroescu

but, what about the Masking Region ? Is it still in use?

In case that there is no masking region, can you send the countertop rfa file?

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

here is the file, thanks.

Message 6 of 16
constantin.stroescu

As I supose it is a Mask Region that is L shaped and the 3d model is a U shaped...as can be seen below:

Image 01.png

I erased the mask because I think that for this object it is not necessary and I've remade the family so to be attacehed to reference planes and to fit parameters.....See if it works for you ..

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

Thanks so much for helping us out with this.  Your solution seems to work well.  We are still doing a little more research into how you got this to work so well and we may be back with a couple more specific questions on your solution in the very near future.  In the meantime thanks a million for your solution.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

Sorry to ask you this but I am still a beginner on the Revit system.
As you know I inserted this family which brought the Mask Region into the drawing. The problem now is that I have no idea how to edit the Mask Region?

Message 9 of 16
constantin.stroescu

You have to draw a Mask from :Annotate > Masking Region and align and lock its borders to Reference Planes. Then, set the visbility for 3d model and for the Masking Region , as can be seen in the screen recording:

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/main/details/43ec8741-e369-4976-8f44-1778d56ce9c2

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

Thanks once again for your help. Sorry to say that I still have some clarifications. 

I have moved on to another one of the countertops within the kitchen. As you will see from the screen cast it is L shape with a curved end.

In your screen cast I see how you create the masking region and lock it; but what I am still unclear about is how to modify and or delete it?

The reason why I need to know this is because I have started with a new family to create this newly curved countertop.

The problem as you will see on the screen cast is that the mask remains in the same original square shape. I think I either need to remove it or modify it to the new L shape countertop? How can this be achieved?

here is the link:http://screencast.com/t/QiR0ay2l

Message 11 of 16
constantin.stroescu

I saw the screencast..

Technicaly the edititing of the 3d model is corect , but the Mask Region has to be aligned and locked to it,

So, the right way is to work in floor plane :

1. Draw a serie of Reference Planes as you want the borders to be
  2. Put Dimensions to Reference Planes
  3. Apply Parameters to these Dimensions
  4. Flex the parameters
  5. draw the 3d model , aligning and locking to Reference Planes
  6. draw the Mask Region , align and lock to Reference Planes
  7. Set the Visibilty for 3d model and the Mask Region
  8. Load into the Project

For a better understanding , see the AU lessons , especialy those of Paul Aubin

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2011/autodesk-revit-architecture/au...

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

Thanks so much for the post.

Sadly I am still none the wiser even after looking at some of the work by Paul Aubin. I guess I am going to have to return to the books and do a little more reading about the subject in order to understand exactly the points you are saying.

If you are kindly able to do a screen cast showing me you amend, edit, and delete the Mask Region that would be most helpful.
Thanks again so much for your help thus far.

Message 13 of 16
constantin.stroescu

I'll try to make a recording ...

In the image below you can see how appear objects in Plan View with different Visibility settings made in Family Editor.

I hope this image will help you to understand why these masks and symbolic lines are necessary......they can make a simplified vie,more schematic  for plan views...

Image 01.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

Thanks again for the response. Sadly I am still confused… all I need to do is understand how to delete or modify the Mask Region that comes in with the family.

I really appreciate the time you have spent but sadly I am no further forward. Perhaps I am still have the AutoCad mentality which means that I just can’t fathom this problem.

Can you do a screen cast showing how you modify or delete the Mask Region?

Message 15 of 16
constantin.stroescu

I've attached a screencast. In my file there were only symbol lines ,no mask .That means that when placing in a plan view the countertop will let the floor patern to be seen inside its contour....

Can you send your .rfa file to make a screen cast on it?

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/Main/Details/f67533fc-0bab-473d-a276-e84b047cab06

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

FANTASTIC – the penny has dropped.

Thanks so much for being patient with me we now understand where we were going wrong!
Keep up the good work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report