Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems making window with crooked top

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
rasm578s
611 Views, 6 Replies

Problems making window with crooked top

Hi.

I'm trying to create a window that is crooked at the top and the height of the window must be controlled, it gives some problems because all my ref. planes are locked to a center line. I've made a crooked reference plane at the top and bottom to control the height of the window, but since they do not follow the left / right ref plane at different thicknesses of windows, the height is not accurate. Is there a way to fix this?

vindue.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
chuckconley530
in reply to: rasm578s

Use the Horizontal Plane at the top of the window and just lock the angle down and alight the window to the angled Plane. The Horiz. plane will be the height  of the top of the angled window which will regulate the top of the window. I created this and it worked for me.

Message 3 of 7
rasm578s
in reply to: chuckconley530

Thank you so much.. I think I got stuck in all the parameters and locked dimensions.

Message 4 of 7
Alfredo_Medina

I would not be sure yet about the solution. I suggest that you try to "flex" that window, with different dimensions for width and height, and different values for the angle, including 0, etc.. both in the family and in the project, and let us know of the results. There are two good ways to lock a diagonal: by a reference line, or by a rectangle of reference planes. A slanted reference plane with an angle will break sooner or later when you flex the family.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 7
rasm578s

I just tried to set the angle to 0 and it gives an error, so you are right it is not an optimal way to do this. But it works fine for the needs of the project I have.

Message 6 of 7
chuckconley530

Why would you set it to 0 in the first place... You would just use a regular window...
Message 7 of 7
Jason_S

From your picture I see you are using a Reference Plane to create the angle.  I found it much easier to use the Reference Line.

I place it at any angle and lock the end points to the Reference Planes.  Then add an angle dimension and parameter to control it.

The attached is a very quick example with a sweep following the perimeter of the window shape.

It will break if you try to change the angle over 89 degrees. But it will go from 0 to 89 without issue.

Hope this helps you out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report