Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems adjusting height for custom column

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
jhoney
4283 Views, 17 Replies

Problems adjusting height for custom column

I just created a custom fluted column using the column template. I am having problems adjusting the base offsets once I have placed it in the drawing and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. The bottom is O.K., but when I adjust the top offset, the cap slides down the column and my fluting moves down as well.

I created the main body of the circular column (including the top and bottom lip) using revolve. I adding the fluting using a void extrusion and then just arrayed the fluting around the column. The cap and base are just solid extrusions. I think the problem I am having is the relationships between the reference planes. Any help would be appreciated. I will be happy to provide the column to anyone who wants it once I have it corrected.

Thanks
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: jhoney

It is hard to tell what is wrong without having the family file to see.

Alfredo Medina
info@planta1.com

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 18
jhoney

Here you go. Thanks for your help.

Justin Honey
Message 4 of 18
Alfredo_Medina

Well, this is a modified version of the column. I made it with 3 pieces, like this:
1) A revolve solid for the top
2) A revolve solid for the bottom
3) An extrusion (made of one circular shape with in and outs) for the main body. (I think this regenerates faster than a having one cylindrical extrusion with 12 small voids, as it was before)

First I made sure that the top and bottom pieces were really attached to the reference levels, and I also constrained their heights. When this was working, I made the main body, and attached it to the top and bottom pieces.

Now the column changes its height when the base and/or top level change(s), keeping the top and bottom pieces intact.

Alfredo Medina
info@planta1.com

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 18
Robert_Grandmaison

Alfredo,

Where's the Corinthian order? 😉 I wonder how much work it would be to create a fully parametric Corinthian, Ionic and Doric orders? Of course, I'd start, like the Romans did, with the Doric and work my way up! (How would one model acanthus leaves in Revit?) I can certainly figure out the echinas and abacus and the entasis...even volutes for the Ionic...but acanthus leaves...hmmm...I dunno...I'm sure some of those Revit wizards I've seen could do it but it's probably beyond my ability.
Message 6 of 18
Alfredo_Medina

Well, have you seen Andrea Palladio's four books of Architecture? All the information is there. All those columns of the past had mathematical proportions between all its parts, depending on the style. Those proportions will be today's parameters in Revit. Something like: Radius = Height / 10 , etc., etc. ...

Alfredo

Message 7 of 18
Alfredo_Medina

But, yes, the acanthus leaves will be tough!

Message 8 of 18
Robert_Grandmaison

Might make for a fun challenge though- fully parametric orders for use in Revit. Wonder if I can get some government stimulus grant money to do it?
Message 9 of 18
vector2

just open it in the family editor and change
its height..
Message 10 of 18
Alfredo_Medina

How does that solve the issue? What height? The challenge was to make the column adapt to whatever height there was between the top and base levels.

Message 11 of 18
Alfredo_Medina

Maybe not the government, but a company doing ornamental columns might be interested.

Message 12 of 18
jhoney

Just got back in the office to start working on it. Thank you so much for your help. Going to dive into it right now.
Message 13 of 18
jhoney

It worked perfectly. Thank you. Just out of curiosity, though - I agree that my method was more cumbersome. For learning purposes, however, why could I not get the top locked to the top reference plane? Was there a way of making my method work?
Message 14 of 18
Alfredo_Medina

The top plane of the top piece was locked to the upper reference plane, but the bottom plane was not constrained with a fixed dimension. So, if you want to fix the original file you should add that fixed dimension to lock the height of that piece, and then make sure that the top plane of the main body extrusion is aligned and locked to that bottom plane, as well.

One general advice when working with families is to work with the main reference planes or lines first, without any geometry. If you get your main references to adjust, move, correctly, as per different values or dimensions in the types, you have done the most difficult part already. The rest is easier. Add the objects, and align its planes to these references. Then add secondary references as required and relate them to the main ones.

Alfredo Medina
info@planta1.com

Message 15 of 18
Alfredo_Medina

I remember that you did have a dimension that was supposed to lock the height of the top piece, but it was locking the distance between the two planes, but the bottom plane of the object was not aligned to that reference plane. It is good to check the alignment by trying to change the height of the object. If you can change the height freely, without Revit giving you any warnings, then the height is not constrained yet. If Revit complains about 'constrains not satisfied', then it is OK, it is constrained.

Alfredo Medina
info@planta1.com

Message 16 of 18
jhoney

Are you saying I should lock the top and bottom reference planes to their respective levels? When I do that, it says the sketch is overconstrained.
Message 17 of 18
Alfredo_Medina

In your original file, both upper and lower faces of the top piece were not attached to anything. You can prove this by clicking on the top piece and holding the arrow controls to shrink the object. See how it shrinks freely wihout any warnings? So the locks are there, but they are just locking the distance between two planes, however the faces of the object were not aligned to these planes.

Message 18 of 18
jhoney

I understand now. Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report