Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with window family visibility in project

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
mechitar
3035 Views, 8 Replies

problem with window family visibility in project

I'm fairly new to Revit, so it's entirely possible that some obvious thing that I haven't thought of is causing this visibility problem.  On the other hand, I checked out all 33 items from this visibility problem checklist and none of them look to be the source of my problem.

And the problem is: I created a hosted window family, and when hosted in a wall in the project it shows up in plan view as a cut opening with a blank rectangle where the mullions and glazing should be.  When I hover the cursor over the window object, the mullions and glazing are visible, ghosted.  I guess the window is acting as though a masked region is covering up the window geometry, but there are no masked regions in the family.  Also, the issue definitely doesn't have to do with view range/depth or any categories being turned off.  And the window looks good in elevation view. 

Attached:

Screen cap showing window in wall as it appears in the project;

Screen cap showing window in wall when cursor is hovering over it;

Revit file of the window family

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: mechitar

The top horizontal mullion, the header, must be turned off for plan views. If the header is left as visible, it obscures the mullions in plan views.

Therefore, do this: Select the header > Visibility settings > turn off "Plan / RCP" > Load into project  >  🙂

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 9
mechitar
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

That's a pretty strange way for Revit to behave.  But your tip worked beautifully.  Thanks!

Message 4 of 9

So then how do you get the header to show up in the RCP?
Message 5 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: laura.gilmore12

Use symbolic lines in the family to present the header or horizontal mullions on Plan/RCP.
Message 6 of 9
laura.gilmore12
in reply to: ToanDN

I see.  So control visibility in the family and add symbolic lines.  I assume these get added in the family as well? In the reference plan?

Message 7 of 9
ToanDN

Yes. Add them in the family. Constrain them to reference planes/ parameters the same way you would to 3D geometry.

It is very common to turn off 3D geometry and use symbolic lines and/or 2D detail components to present on Plan/ RCP and Elevation views.
Message 8 of 9
laura.gilmore12
in reply to: ToanDN

Do you know of a tutorial for this?
Message 9 of 9
ToanDN

You can open one of the OOTB Window families come with Revit, for example: Window/ Fixed.rfa and you will see how it was built.

3D component is invisible on Plan/RCP:

Capture.PNG

Symbolic lines to present the window on Plan/RCP:

Capture1.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report