Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with flipped detail within mullion profile

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ColinBonfield
1517 Views, 8 Replies

Problem with flipped detail within mullion profile

I posted this question in a similar post but the most recent reply was in 2012, so I am reposting here.

I have drawn a mullion profile for both the left and right jambs, it appears correctly in the profile family creator. To do this, I imported and exploded 2 separate CAD details that display in "fine" mode for each profile. Each is oriented correctly in the detail component which is loaded into the profile family, and the profile for the mullion traces those detail outlines to create the mullion in the curtain wall system.

Problem is, while the profile and detail display correctly in the editor, Revit decides to flip the detail on the left side (right displays correctly) when loaded into the project. In the family editor this is not the case. Both jambs appear as they should. In the project however, it doesnt matter which way I draw the wall, or flip the wall, or rotate the wall, the detail is flipped from the actual profile that is creating the model element in the project.

This makes no sense, I have tried recreating everything from CAD, 2 sepearate files for each jamb, imported them into a blank detail component template just to explode, change line types and purge, then copied and pasted into yet another detail component that I load into the profile family for the mullion.

Even after taking all those steps to ensure the detail is oriented correctly, Revit will flip ONLY the detail and leave the profile alone once it is part of the curtain wall in the project. To make this as clear as possible since it may sound a little confusing, the profile is correct, the detail flips itself on the left jamb. This is despite the fact that the detail appears correctly in the profile family editor.

Any solutions for this problem? That seems like a bug as I have done everything possible to ensure the detail aligns with the profile, which the detail does when loaded into the profile family, yet it flips in the project. AND, the detail is made completely of Revit lines, no CAD. Even the CAD I used was exploded in a separate family to convert into Revit lines and pasted into a new detail family that I import into the profile family.

Any ideas for this problem? I'll happily upload if Autodesk would take a look. I've been using Revit since 7.1 and haven't had in issue like this until 2014.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
alan.quinn
in reply to: ColinBonfield

This is an open issue that development is aware of. The work-a-round is to create a profile for the right and one for the left. Hope this helps and thanks for posting.

Message 3 of 9
ColinBonfield
in reply to: alan.quinn

I have one for left and right. The problem is that the detail flips on one side, even though the profile stays correct. And in the family editor the profile lines align with the detail profile. The problem only occurs once it is loaded into the project. Even then, it sometimes appears correctly, but simply moving the wall to a new location causes just that one detail to flip even though the mullion profile remains correct.

There is not any logic to why this is happening, so I am assuming there is no solution and that as you said, it is an issue being worked on. In regards to your suggestion, to reiterate, I do have a seperate detail for left and right, and each one is loaded into the respective left/right mullion profile.

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
SixthRiver
in reply to: ColinBonfield

If you have a plan region in this area, turn it off or shift it away from mullions.... This was causing the detail portion of the mullion to flip 180 and offset.... No idea why.

Message 5 of 9
SixthRiver
in reply to: alan.quinn

It is caused by plan regions. I creates custom mullions with the detail components for the Head, sill, jamb right, and jamb left. For some reason the plan region caused the jamb right detail to flip 180 degrees and offset 1/2".....
Realized that the plan region caused the issue. When you shift it away from the mullion the detail on the mullion corrects.
Message 6 of 9
schoepnd
in reply to: SixthRiver

SixthRiver got it exactly right. As soon as I move the plan region to not include the curtain wall, the mullion looks correct. Very strange indeed.

I want to point out that although it is flipped 180° in my floor plan with a plan region over it, in the enlarged plan, it is oriented correctly. It's an annoying graphical issue that I guess we just have to deal with. I'm working in 2017 and it still isn't fixed.

Message 7 of 9
bill
in reply to: schoepnd

I'm working in Revit 2018.2 and this still happens.

Message 8 of 9
gsucci
in reply to: bill

Yes,

same problem here...

quite arbitrary actually, some work, but one detail flips.

Any news on this?

thanks

regards

gio

Message 9 of 9
gsucci
in reply to: gsucci

Alright,

One of the profile inside a mullion which was flipping now works.

What I did to fix it was tweak the orientation of the section view to become perfectly orthogonal to the curtain wall.

I had to use a rotation plugin that allow you to match rotations of different objects (it's in the app store), because there are no other ways (OOTB) to rotate a section view to match anything, of course.

I have not tried this with other mullions, just one mullion, once, but I think this is a solution, and I wanted to see if other users would solve their flipping by aligning their sections more precisely (in my project, I have weird, irrational angles for three out of 4 walls of the building...).

Thanks

regards

gio

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report