Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem when inserting a door family

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
xime_na
882 Views, 5 Replies

Problem when inserting a door family

Hi everyone,

I am having issues with a simple door family I created. When I insert the component in one of the walls of my project, it works fine. I can see the symbolic lines fit perfectly. But if you see the attached jpeg, when I insert this family in a different wall (another thickness), the symbolic lines move.

I have tried endlessly to try to constrain these lines, but apparently there is something I may be missing. I have been following every tutorial on the web and I cannot even create a family type either because the symbolic lines either stay where they are and the door handles that I am inserting would not move.

Any ideas as to why is this happening? If anyone can let me know or show me how to do it properly, I would really appreciate it, THANKS!!

ximena

PS - my parameters and dimensions are all in spanish, and I am  working on metric units. Apologies if it is confusing to anyone.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jason_S
in reply to: xime_na

Does the Attached work for you?  Please try and let me know.

I edited your sweep profiles and constrained them to your reference planes.  They seemed to stay when the wall width changed.  For the door handles I locked (constrained) them to the reference plane for the door thickness.

I added NEW to the front of your named family.

Message 3 of 6
Jason_S
in reply to: Jason_S

I created a small step-by-step on what I did.

See attached

Message 4 of 6
xime_na
in reply to: Jason_S

It works! That is great, thanks a bunch! I am really new to making my own family and this I have to say was good practice. Is there anywhere around that I could find a proper tutorial? Have been going through the Autodesk guides but they all talk about components in general and I was hoping I could find one just for doors. And all the tutorials are different and depending on who makes it, they each have their own style.

I also found in some tutorials that some use formulas. Where can I learn this? Would those be better to constrain things?

Thanks again.

ximena

Message 5 of 6
Alfredo_Medina

@xime_na wrote:

I also found in some tutorials that some use formulas. Where can I learn this? ..

There are blogs, forums, tutorials, videos, with lots of information, scattered in multiple sites on the internet. As another alternative, I provide online training on Revit families, in English or Spanish. If you are interested, please contact me by email.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 6
Jason_S

@xime_na wrote:

It works! That is great, thanks a bunch! I am really new to making my own family and this I have to say was good practice. Is there anywhere around that I could find a proper tutorial? Have been going through the Autodesk guides but they all talk about components in general and I was hoping I could find one just for doors. And all the tutorials are different and depending on who makes it, they each have their own style.

I also found in some tutorials that some use formulas. Where can I learn this? Would those be better to constrain things?

Thanks again.

ximena

ximena

I am glad to help.  You actually did a great job on that family.  I learned a ton from an AU seminar on Revit Families by Matt Dillion of D|C|C|A|D.  He made things so clear cut I was able to learn a lot about door families.  I then took that understanding to many other families and types.

You should be able to get into AU's past classes and find a bunch of video's and handouts that cover all sorts of things revit family wise.

Good luck and if you need help again please post here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report