Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem grouping apartment layouts

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
712 Views, 11 Replies

Problem grouping apartment layouts

Does anyone know if there has been any further development made to improving the 'Grouping' in REVIT?
I have approximate. 20 different apartment types of a total of 250, and many are mirrored and copied on different levels. The groups have walls and doors and 2D elements to indicate furniture, (apartment dividing walls excluded) . They seem to work ok until i had to change some of the floor to floor heights between levels. I get an inconsistent group type error, giving me the option to ungroup or create a new group type. I don't want to but I am forced to create new groups even though in plan view they are exactly the same, which kind of defies the point of groups.
Is there an option to make the walls within the group non- binding to slabs and other walls?
Any suggestions would help.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Steve_Stafford
in reply to: Anonymous

Unfortunately a floor plan being the same but having different wall heights makes a unit different in the eyes of a PC, processing data. Or at least the way Revit is written...

Setting walls that are in a group to a fixed height is one way around this.
Message 3 of 12
sbrown

Once you create the new type due to teh error, just swap it back out with the original type, this usually works.
Message 4 of 12
glennmcguyre

You are correct that Revit does not give you an error but you should also check your model in section as you are replacing the groups. I have noticed that when applying a group to a floor with a different floor to floor height than the original, Revit will not change the height of walls in the new location. If the original floor to floor height was 10' and the new floor to floor height is 12' the walls typically stay at 10'. Also somehow See the attached example.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

That's exactly what is happening, and you can imagine what happens when there are 20 types of units in a complex of over 200..its a nightmare!!!
I am currently trying to resolve this with our Revit dealer/support company (still waiting to get back to me) but these are some options i was thinking of:
1. Set all the internal walls to min. height allowable 50mm high, this will still allow doors to be placed. The down side is how it will view in section.
2. Exclude any walls from groups, a bit pointless though.
3. Replace walls with 2d model lines, doors will probably need to be a 2d family aswell, however could be tedious filleting lines etc.
4. Thinking about drawing in Autocad, and linking into Revit as imported object......not sure how successful that would be either.

I think there is still alot of development required on Autodesk's behalf to resolve this issue.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

We are in a similar situation. Just an added observation is that of sub
groups in groups. When pasting a group from one file to another it will
generate an error of nested groups and it will not paste.

On the issue of walls not changing heights, have you tried setting them from
level to level? I think there will just be wall clean up in the end no
matter what unless the heights match.

wrote in message news:5272855@discussion.autodesk.com...
Does anyone know if there has been any further development made to improving
the 'Grouping' in REVIT?
I have approximate. 20 different apartment types of a total of 250, and many
are mirrored and copied on different levels. The groups have walls and doors
and 2D elements to indicate furniture, (apartment dividing walls excluded) .
They seem to work ok until i had to change some of the floor to floor
heights between levels. I get an inconsistent group type error, giving me
the option to ungroup or create a new group type. I don't want to but I am
forced to create new groups even though in plan view they are exactly the
same, which kind of defies the point of groups.
Is there an option to make the walls within the group non- binding to slabs
and other walls?
Any suggestions would help.
Message 7 of 12
glennmcguyre

The example I posted has the walls set to floor to floor...

I have attached a more elaborate description of the problem...

Please try it yourself and see if you run into different or the same problems.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

We have just received Revit 9.1 hav'nt had a chance to install it yet, but i hope there has been some improvement on this issue.
Message 9 of 12
glennmcguyre

Let me know if it works!
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

There is a way around this, and i didn't have to install 9.1version. Best to start a new project and trial it out first, you will need to make floor slabs for the walls to attach to. Once the groups are made and copied on the different levels, go to your section/elevation view. Select the group and edit it, pick the walls and select 'attach' from the menu bar. Pick the slab you wish to extend to, and finish group edit. The edited group will be fixed, however you will notice that the other instances of the same group will remain unaffected. You will need to repeat this to the other instances of groups as well. I am not sure how it does it, but it works!
Message 11 of 12
JanUsinger

I thought it would be worthwhile digging this issue up again.

Because of the described unreliabilty of groups, we ended up burning a lot of time on it in the past.

Since then we are not copying or rotating groups anymore nor are we attaching walls to anything else.

This has solved the issues so far for us.

However do we still need to treat groups like ticking time bombs are are they save - 6 years later - now?

It would be great if autodesk could give me an update on this.

Message 12 of 12
bwoolmer
in reply to: JanUsinger

Hi,

I can see this topic relates to architectural elements within groups however we have exactly the same issue but from an MEP standpoint. 

Just wondering if there are any changes in the pipeline. As it stands we have to create multiple references planes to indicate soffit, walls, floors for hosting of MEP elements, only then does the model copy 95% okay. 

The main issues are pipework and conduits having a tough time with the levels.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report