Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing to PDF

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
vaughn
1083 Views, 5 Replies

Printing to PDF

I have just installed the latest update to revit LT (R2) and happy days it says:

You can print views and sheets to PDF (Portable Document Format) files.

The resulting PDF files can be shared with other team members, viewed online, or printed. When printing multiple views and sheets to PDF, you can specify whether each view or sheet is saved in a separate PDF file, or one PDF file contains all selected views and sheets. If you decide to save multiple views and sheets to individual files, you cannot cancel the print job once it starts.

Spoiler
The bad news bit.....
Note: This feature or functionality is available only to Autodesk Maintenance and Desktop Subscription customers for Revit LT 2015 software releases.

So..... I am on subscription - can i print to pdf's with Revit or do I still need a third party pdf driver? If I can how do I do it?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
downing.nigel
in reply to: vaughn

I use pdf995 3rd party printer driver. I am not aware of a built in pdf driver in revit. I have just printed a 15 sheet set of drawings using the print command (using the pdf driver as the printer).  Within the resultant pdf file, I can click on a detail callout and it jumps across to that detail view. Hope that helps.

Message 3 of 6
vaughn
in reply to: downing.nigel

Thanks for the reply. I too use a third party pdf driver (soda pdf).

What has raised my question is the recently installed update for revit (R2) under the 'whats new' section states

"Share your designs as electronic PDF files with automatically linked views and sheets. Each view tag in the PDF file is a hyperlink. Click a hyperlink to jump to that view or sheet in the PDF file. See About Printing to PDF."

if you click "About printing to PDF" (http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-lt/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Revit... it states

"You can print views and sheets to PDF (Portable Document Format) files.

The resulting PDF files can be shared with other team members, viewed online, or printed. When printing multiple views and sheets to PDF, you can specify whether each view or sheet is saved in a separate PDF file, or one PDF file contains all selected views and sheets. If you decide to save multiple views and sheets to individual files, you cannot cancel the print job once it starts.

Tip: You can also export construction documents to DWF. DWF files are smaller in size than PDF files, and they can be easily shared with colleagues for online review.
Note: This feature or functionality is available only to Autodesk Maintenance and Desktop Subscription customers for Revit LT 2015 software releases"

I am confused - has Revit now got a built in pdf facility but only for subscription customers????

Message 4 of 6
downing.nigel

I am on subscription. I have installed the revit (R2) update, and still have only the one pdf printer (in my case pdf995), which I have had for years.  In revit under the "export" command I do not see any option to be able to export to PDF.  I assume that the R2 features that autodesk described become active WHEN you have a third party pdf print driver installed, and only if you have the R2 update.  While viewing the resultant PDF file with adobe reader you can now click on a detail number/sheet number reference and the sheet being viewed will change to the referenced sheet (unless you are already on it).  I had not been aware of that hyperlink functionality before, so assume it is new.

Message 5 of 6
rosskirby

Unfortunately, you still need your own 3rd party PDF print driver.  The only thing included in R2 is the ability for the resulting PDFs to hot-link any references.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 6 of 6
bhthompson

I am using R2 and printing with BluebeamPDF, hyperlinks work great within a file, but I have not had any success when I print the sheets to separate files. Has anyone had any luck with this feature?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report