Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing to PDF problem

34 REPLIES 34
SOLVED
Message 1 of 35
bward
10103 Views, 34 Replies

Printing to PDF problem

Sometimes when I print multiple sheets to a Combined PDF file Revit goes through the process and combines all of the sheets in one PDF file but then it continues to re- print the PDF file as many times as the number of sheets. Has anyone else had this happen?
Tags (1)
34 REPLIES 34
Message 21 of 35
adafchik
in reply to: bward

I just had this happen to me on 4/17/2013 and I am using Revit 2013.  Many times I am successful at printing a Combined PDF, but this time it tried to print the combined set of 8 sheets, eight times.  Thanks for posting - I'm not going crazy afterall.  I have Adobe Acrobat 9 and use the "Adobe PDF" driver.  Just to clarify the "number of copies" is only set to 1.  Has anyone found a solution for this?

Message 22 of 35
CoreyDaun
in reply to: adafchik

adafchik,

Try following the procedure in the Solution described in post #16 and see is that's of any help.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 23 of 35
adafchik
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks!  Sometimes the buttons at the bottom of the forum for "Page 2" of the thread are so small I don't pay attention to them.

Message 24 of 35
christine1468
in reply to: CoreyDaun

You are my hero! I was selecting print with the schedule / drawing index as my current view. Thank you.
Message 25 of 35
newell.tw
in reply to: christine1468

Have had this problem at several different offices with different versions of Revit. Only today did I learn that the solution is to click inside the active drawing window before printing. That would have saved me hours in the past! Anyway thanks for the solution.

Message 26 of 35
XeroPhane
in reply to: Anonymous

THIS is exactly the solution to stopping the seemingly never-ending loop. It doesn't instantly kill the process but it does help it to stop considerably sooner.

The other posts more affect prevention rather than "oh $%#@ it's stuck in the spin cycle and I can't get out without either being very patient and wearing out the cancel button, or killing Revit altogether, risking losing work and locking up Central"

Long term... would like to see this fixed (by Autodesk) as I've had users report the issue to me in every release since 2009.
Message 27 of 35
rdfogle

I also have the multiple pdf creation problem.

It tries as many times as I have drawings.

This does happen every Revit project or everytime I plot to PDF.

I am using Acrobat PDF

Danny

Message 28 of 35
adafchik
in reply to: rdfogle

rdfogle - check out the previous posts on the prior pages (it's annoying that this forum breaks up responses into pages).  The fix is to make sure that prior to starting your print command  that you click inside your active view to "deactivate" the Project Browser.  For some reason, if the last thing you click on prior to hitting "PRINT" was your project browser, it get stuck in that printing loop.

Message 29 of 35
bill
in reply to: rdfogle

?I don't know if you have downloaded the new revision to Revit 2015, but this changes PDF printing significantly.

Not sure the problem is fixed, but I haven't had it since I upgraded.

[Bill McLees image]

Bill McLees, AIA, LEED AP BD+C

MBS Architects
155 Franklin Street
Macon, GA 31201.1958

P.O. Box 975
Macon, GA 31202.0975

www.mbsarch.com

478.745.6514 office
478.320.1753 cell
bill.mclees skype
Message 30 of 35
christine1468
in reply to: bill

The tip about clicking on something other than the project browser is a good one.  I also make sure my current view is not a schedule.  It needs to be a view that is printable.

Message 31 of 35
jmabbey

So I found this thread as this is happening to me right now. I have 43 sheets which means I'll have to cancel 43 times. It takes about 2 minutes to cancel each time so I'm looking at an hour and a half of this. I can't force quit either because I haven't synced in a long time. Very frustrating. I was hoping there was a solution to sync or save inbetween these printing cycles!!! Smiley Mad 

Message 32 of 35
bill
in reply to: jmabbey

?Latest version of Revit still doesn't fix this issue. But it does have a much better warning feature that alerts you not to begin printing with the wrong box checked.

[Bill McLees image]

Bill McLees, AIA, LEED AP BD+C

MBS Architects
155 Franklin Street
Macon, GA 31201.1958

P.O. Box 975
Macon, GA 31202.0975

www.mbsarch.com

478.745.6514 office
478.320.1753 cell
bill.mclees skype
Message 33 of 35
blatagan
in reply to: bill

I'm very suprised this is so "NEW" to Revit users.

This has been happening since I've been using Revit in 2009. They still haven't fixed the problem, no matter what patch. Just happened to me again. Work for  2hours gone, just because I tried to batch print to a combined PDF of 20+ sheets. I can't spend 40 minutes cancelling the print.

So what have I been doing to avoid this constant issue? Make sure you save locally everytime before you print. Try not to sync, especially with a big file, everyone knows how long a sync can be sometimes. 

-Ben

Message 34 of 35
ross.reed
in reply to: blatagan

This happened to me for the first time today...I'm kinda surprised I've never tried printing while in a schedule before. I'm glad I found out why it's doing this but I'm bummed i'm gonna be sitting here for the next hour waiting for this to print 56 times...

Edit: so... I just clicked in the bottom corner where the cancel button usually is and it let me cancel out of the print job! it even gave me the pop up window asking if I'm sure I want to cancel. YES I WANT TO CANCEL.

So for anyone that this happens to, click the bottom corner where the cancel button usually is even though you cant see it.

Message 35 of 35
SR-SCG

This happened me today, I'm on Revit 2016, I was trying to print a few sheets in PDF to a single file while I had a schedule open. It kept printing the single file over and over. I closed the schedule and opened a sheet view and it fixed it  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report