Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing to PDF problem

34 REPLIES 34
SOLVED
Message 1 of 35
bward
9971 Views, 34 Replies

Printing to PDF problem

Sometimes when I print multiple sheets to a Combined PDF file Revit goes through the process and combines all of the sheets in one PDF file but then it continues to re- print the PDF file as many times as the number of sheets. Has anyone else had this happen?
Tags (1)
34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35
alan.quinn
in reply to: bward

That’s interesting and I have not come across that before. What PFD application are you using?

Thanks for posting.

Message 3 of 35
derrickmoore

A coworker had this happen last Friday using Acrobat 9. I haven't seen it on my machine

Message 4 of 35
bward

Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro

Message 5 of 35
alan.quinn

Even more interesting, considering the application. I'm not sure where to go with this one. At home I use a free PDF conversion tool (lets just say its cute!) and in the office I have the same as you. Never had it happen until you and derrickmoore mentioned it. I wonder if its hanging onto a previous setting or something like that. It might be worth testing to see if that's the case.

Message 6 of 35
mhamson

I've had the same issue.

It is like it is in a printing loop and can't get out.

I've had to stop the probleam through the task manager and restart Revit.

Message 7 of 35
bward
in reply to: mhamson

Mine stops but only after it has looped as many times as there are sheets. If I have 20 sheets it tried to print them 20 times. My only solution is to find a project that it does not do this on, transfer those print set ups to my current project and make the modifications I need to the set up.

Message 8 of 35
mhamson

Will give that a try next time. Thanks.
Message 9 of 35
david.rosen
in reply to: mhamson

Could it be a problem with the operating system? Are you running on Windows 7 Professional? I have printing of multiple copies to hardcopy printers but perhaps there is a connection.

Message 10 of 35
bward
in reply to: david.rosen

Perhaps, but I have issues on some project and not others all on Windows 7 64 bit. To be honest I have had this issue since 2010 at least when we were on Windows Vista 64bit. Might be an option in Adobe, but other user working in same model have the same issue. I tend to think it is something in Revit.

Message 11 of 35
LisaDrago

Bluebeam is an awesome PDF maker and I have never had problems using it with revit - and it even creates 3D pdf! 

Check it out here...

http://www.kalblue.com/Software/bluebeam

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 12 of 35
bill
in reply to: LisaDrago

I'm having the same issue. One PDF printing 40 or more times if I have 40 or more drawings.

Using Revit 2013, Windows 7 64. I had the same issue with previous Revit versions. Also, I am using latest version of Acrobat Pro will all updates.

Message 13 of 35
John_Castro
in reply to: bill

Yes, it is very frustrating .. just spent the last 45 min cancelling each print range plot attempt (38 sheets).  The first print range of 38 sheets came out as wanted in one combined pdf.  Then, the Save PDF As dialog box came up 37 more times and even if you hit cancel, it runs through the motions of printing out the selected print range.

The only reason I didn't kill Revit in the Task Manager was because I had a different local file open that I hadn't synced in a while.

Please fix.  This has happened multiple times

Using Revit 2012, using Windows 7 64, and Acrobat 8 Standard.

Thanks,

John

Message 14 of 35
awes
in reply to: LisaDrago

99% same problem as jcastro starting with rst 2009. Set of 1-8 sheets runs without problem, with 9 or more print session starts repeating itself without possibility to cancel session, instead you have to cancel separately each sheet.

Workaround is to print sets of 8 and combine them.

rst 2013, win7pro, acrobat 8 pro.

Message 15 of 35
JamaL9722060
in reply to: awes

the issue in my case that my Revit doesn't print pdf file at all!

i have Revit 2012, Acrobat 8.0 Pro.

what might be the problem?

---------------------------
Jamal Numan
Message 16 of 35
CoreyDaun

I have encountered the issue in which Revit will print to PDF and want to create numerous files in an unbreakable scripted action, even though the setup is set to "Combine multiple selected view/sheets into a single file".

I have found that this is caused if the last place that the user clicked was in the Project Browser or if the current View is non-printable (i.e. a Schedule View). Prior to printing, be sure that you open any printable View and click anywhere inside that View to make it the 'active window'. Following this procedure, I have never had this problem again!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 17 of 35
awes
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Your 'workaround' seems to work. I just succeeded to print 30 pages into one pdf file by having a printable view as active window. Thanks! The neverending printing is somehow related to rvt - I've had the same issue with both acrobat 8 and pdf-exchange &rvt but not not combined with other cad or office programs. In my opinion there's something to be fixed.

Message 18 of 35
ronaldwestdijk

Thanks for the solution! It worked for me too!

If you encounter the problem (win 7 64) of having a printing loop, and haven't saved your file yet, you can also open task manager --> services --> terminate Spooler. In this case you just need to quickly click away the messages revit gives you, but that goes a lot faster than waiting for all the pdf's to be printed.

Message 19 of 35
JamaL9722060
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thank you very much Corey for the very informative answer. This introduces a root solution for such stressful problem. With your help, now I could print all my sheets in one pdf file

Clip_401.jpg

Clip_402.jpg

All the best

Jamal

---------------------------
Jamal Numan
Message 20 of 35
sbj-lab

Thank you for the work around, I have had this problem several times.

I dont understand why Autodesk dont fix the bug, its seems that it is a old problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report