Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing to file with short name

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
cadman6735
2741 Views, 8 Replies

Printing to file with short name

Is there a way to print to a file using only the short name? I don't need the view name appended to my plot file. Who does and for what reason?

I can export to ACAD using short name, why can't I print to file using short name. I have to use a renamer or export to ACAD then print from ACAD to get the desired name.

The appended name to a file is crazy and hard to organize and too much to look at.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Scott_Womack
in reply to: cadman6735

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I routinely use the append name feature. I simply shorten the name in the print dialog box, to just the project number, and then the file names are extremely consistent, each time I extract, or print to file. Our firm's policy is to keep a directory of PDF files, that is always up to date. Thus, when new PDF's are created in this manner, they will be named, so when copying newer files into this directory, they always over write the existing versions.
Message 3 of 9
cadman6735

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the reply,

Can you give me more detail on how you do this? I am trying what you said but I can't get it to work.

What PDF driver do you use? I don't have the option to shorten my name in the print dialog box, I think I am missing something.

Thanks
Message 4 of 9
Scott_Womack

Ok, PDF driver should not matter too much. Currently this firm uses PDF 995, but I've done the same procedure using a full version of Adobe Acrobat Pro as the driver as well. First, set up the PDF driver so that it does not automatically ask for a file name, and then does not automatically show the completed PDF.

Then in Revit, I select the printer (PDF Driver), and always print a selected set of drawings. I make sure that it is creating individual files, and Long names. This makes the Revit print dialog file name to be selective. I shorten THAT name to just the project number, and hit the print. That shortened name is appended, and is used to create the PDF files in whatever default directory the modified PDF driver uses. Then I move the files to where I want them via Windows. I can usually print a 70 sheet set to PDF in under 20 minutes. (It is taking some time for our elevation sheets since our standard is to turn shadows on in those views for "depth") Also, we've found that due to a JPG in our titleblocks, in Revit 2010 we have to print using the Raster Setting, which is a little slower.

Good Luck
Message 5 of 9
cadman6735

Scott

Please find attached an image of my plot dialog box and my PDF prints.

I am still getting the long names and I hope that this image will help me in understanding what steps you are taking to achieve the desired short name I am looking for.

Thank you for your help on this.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

When you click ok in the Revit Print window another window should pop up
(Save PDF File As) which will allow you to name the file anything you want.
I really do not put anything in that Revit box where you have the arrow and
Project Number. Once the next window pops up I navigate to the folder that I
want it saved in and name the file. Now If you have already named the using
that box that you have indicated it may by-step the second box. I just do
not remember at the moment.

Craig VanDevere, AIA

wrote in message news:6252384@discussion.autodesk.com...
Scott

Please find attached an image of my plot dialog box and my PDF prints.

I am still getting the long names and I hope that this image will help me in
understanding what steps you are taking to achieve the desired short name I
am looking for.

Thank you for your help on this.
Message 7 of 9
cadman6735

cdv

Thanks for your reply

Yes, before I set the PDF driver to not prompt me for a file name, I did get a dialog box to name my file. The only thing is when batch printing 100 plus file, It prompts me for each file and I have to rename each file.

This prompted me to export to ACAD then publish from ACAD. Extra steps I should not be taking but I get my desired results. Then someone introduced me to Name wiz but again extra steps and it does not work as I want it too.

If only there was an option for Long name or short name as there is for exporting files to ACAD
Message 8 of 9
jtaguerin

would you believe this still seems to be a problem? I even have info about the central file attached to the name of the pdf I'm making. I never want any of that. My names are so long and with duplicate information that I have no idea what I am deleting in the small naming window. If I remember correctly, 1in 2010 the names wouldn't be so long.
Message 9 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: jtaguerin

@jtaguerin wrote:
would you believe this still seems to be a problem? I even have info about the central file attached to the name of the pdf I'm making. I never want any of that. My names are so long and with duplicate information that I have no idea what I am deleting in the small naming window. If I remember correctly, 1in 2010 the names wouldn't be so long.

Don't live in 2009.

ToanDN_0-1660668748889.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report