Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing crashes

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ToanDN
8947 Views, 6 Replies

Printing crashes

RAC2011, Windows 7 64, I7 CPU with 24GB of RAM.

It crashes everytime I print with Sheet selection (even with only one Sheet selected) to any printers/plotters including Adobe PDF.  If I print one by one using Current View then no crashing.

There is no problem on lower specs machines running XP64.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ryan.duell
in reply to: ToanDN

A few items to verify:

1.  Do you have any specific add-ins on this workstation that may be conflicting with the printing process?

2.  If you clean out the Windows Temp folder at %Temp% first, and then launch Revit does the issue persist?

3.  Does this occur in a new project file with a few test sheets or does it seem isolated to this project?

4.  Lastly, does the same issue occur if you launch Revit 2011 by right-clicking > Run as Administrator?

If the issue persists, are you being prompted to submit an error report after the crash?  If so please do, and include either an e-mail address or name in the report body so I can search for it.  Just let me know what to search for and I can take a look.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Tags (2)
Message 3 of 7
posterprinting
in reply to: ryan.duell

Hi,

I know crash problems when printing have probably been talked about to death on this forum and I did start trawling through discussions, but I wonder if anyone else is having the same problem as us. I work at a screen printers and we use QuarkXpress to rip Photoshop CS5 spot colour separations to a postscript file via imagesetter (and then use different software to convert to .TIF files that our screening machine uses.)

Couple of issues that Quark technical are trying to solve via various emails and telephone calls; the main one being that Quark crashes whenever I try to print more than around 6 spot colours. Due to the fact I'm on Lion OS, we've had to purchase the latest QuarkXpress as older versions aren't compatible. My colleagues that use version 6 of Quark don't have any such problems and I wonder if anyone else has experienced this issue with version 9.

Given that there must be many users who use Quark for a similar process, I'm a little baffled as to why there isn't a known bug-fix?

Any thoughts anyone???

Here

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 7
tbrown6608

I have a similiar issue with Revit 2014, sometimes when I click "print", it crashes. Doesn't even give me an error message or prompt to save recovery, the window just closes and the error report comes up. I don't even get to the print window so I know the problem isn't with printer drivers. Its been happening for a while and almost appeared to start with update release 2, but I could be wrong on that. It happens on multiple projects from 150mb+ down to 20mb files, happens on multiple computers with different specs. Its extremely difficult to try to problem solve as it doesn't crash every time. Almost as if it crashes only when you forget to sync right before. I've tried updating graphic card drivers, plotter drivers, auditting upon open, not auditting, with hardware acceleration on and off. I really don't have the time to play with it blindly looking for patterns, especially due to the random nature of the crashes. I've sent countless error reports, read multiple forums but have yet to see a fix. This has been going on for a long time and is causing extreme productivity issues within my company.

Message 5 of 7
L.Maas
in reply to: tbrown6608

I know it can be difficult sometimes. As long as I can remember printing seems to be the most difficult thing to do on a computer. It always gives alot of headaches and solutions are not easy to come by.

I did not have major issues with revit 2014. One computer needed an driver update to solve a problem (image printed mirrored), but that was it.

I am afraid you need to do trouble shooting to solve the problem.

You mention that it happens with different (spec) computers and with different (size) projects. You also mention that it already happens when you press the print button. You already tried updating drivers etc and ruled out printer drivers.

Because it happens on several/all computers I expect it should be something that those computers have in common.

What I am thinking about is network issues..specific printer issues..or other common software issues.

For example in most software when you press the print button it starts working in the background before showing a window. For example it might start to retrieve a list of available (virtual) printers. It might approach those printers to see if thery are online etc. So before showing a window network traffic might have occured, printers polled etc.

So a crash could occur when polling the printers and while communicating getting info back that crashes revit. Software like firewalls/virus scanners might cause issues in the network communication. Overloaded network etc.

So I would start to look in that direction.

Possible Troubleshooting actions:

-Take a computer out of the network and hook it up to a printer (e.g. by USB). Does that solve the problem

-Try a different printer

-Take some/all/most printers out of the network

-Take a freshly installed computer as clean as possible. Try to prevent to install "common" software and see if that helps

-Change/Add Memory? Memory problems (damaged or too little) are often causes for "random" crashes. Working for longer periods of time on a project and than printing can give a mjor spike in memory usage.

In summary look what your computers have common in your organisation. Try by trouble shooting to determine if it is a computer/software/printer/network issue.

Good luck

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 6 of 7
Maltezc

I just had this issue running windows 7 64bit with revit 2016. so it may be some versions later but it turned out that it just had to do with updating acrobat on my computre to the most recent version and boom. problem fixed!

Message 7 of 7
ADA-Adam

Are you using any print tracking software? We used to have the same problem in our office. Everytime we would try to print to a physical printer (PDF seemed to work most of the time but we use Bluebeam) it would crash Revit. Turns out it was our print tracking software that Revit didn't like (Print Audit). After removing Revit from the list of programs that were tracked, it solved the problem. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report