Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent Revisions appearing on drawing titleblock without deleting clouds.

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
cjr0
21498 Views, 14 Replies

Prevent Revisions appearing on drawing titleblock without deleting clouds.

We currently have a large ish building, footprint split across two A1 sheets at 1:100. Both halves are seperate "As dependants" of the top of the tree parent. The A1 sheets have numerous revisions, issued numerous times.

Our Client has asked for a new A0 drawing at 1:100 showing the whole footprint, which just about fits but doing a 'Duplicate as dependant or detailing' also appears to transfer Revisions due to the clouds in the parent. The new A0 drawing has not been issued and therefore should have no revisions in the titleblock, a simple requirement.

In order to get the room names, areas and dimensions in the new A0 sheet I need to do a duplicate the parent as dependant or detailing but doing that I also get revisions transferred and I'm unable to untick certain revisions brought through to the A0 drawing sheet in the "Revisions On Sheet" propertiesm they're grey out.

The only way I get access to the revisions is to duplicate the parent by detailing or as dependant to get the annotation, room names etc, convert to independant, delete the revision clouds in the independant and drag that onto the A0 sheet.

This fails when I think ahead to further alterations to the parent where majority of sheet views are related, not transferring, such as room name tags, room dimensions and any other annotation giving me two or more floor plans supposedly showing the same information to maintain individually.

How do I access the greyed out revisions in the A0 sheet view to untick them?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Jason_S
in reply to: cjr0

If I understand right, you need to create an overall plan (no breaks) and since this view goes on a sheet that wasn't created before the revisions you don't want the revisions to show.

I would duplicate with detailing the Parent view of the plan needed.  This will create a new View that you can rename and be independant from the other views.  Duplicating with detailing will bring everything over, even the revisions.  I would then go into Visibility Graphics (VG) and turn off the Revisions Clouds and Revision Cloud Tags for that view.  Annotation Tab scroll down.  (See Image)

This will allow you to drag and drop it without the revisions onto the new sheet.

revisions.png

Message 3 of 15
cjr0
in reply to: Jason_S

Hi and thanks for the reply, yes I tried the visibility options in the duplicate and the sheet and unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.

The Revision box on the titleblock still populates with revisions I assume because the revision clouds are still there as data. The tickboxes in the Sheet 'Revisions On Sheet' are still greyed out.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 15
Jason_S

I just tested a couple things here.  I found that revisions are view specific.  So since you duplicated the view with detailing you can delete the revision clouds on the duplicated view and that will remove the revision list on that sheet.

Hope that helps you out.

Message 5 of 15
cjr0

I'd tried that previosuly, but it didn't work then, however I retried as you suggest 'Duplicate with detailing' rather than 'as dependant' and it works as you suggest, many thanks, problem solved. Very grateful for your help. I must have just tried 'as dependant', a subtlety I'll remember now. 🙂

Message 6 of 15
Jason_S

Glad it worked and I could help.

Message 7 of 15
rosskirby

To avoid this in the future, all revision clouds should be placed on sheets, and not in the views themselves.  You're going to have to put revisions on sheets anyway (schedules, etc.), so you might as well be consistent and only place revision clouds on sheets.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 8 of 15
cjr0
in reply to: rosskirby

I'll give that a try on the next project, but the first thing that springs to mind is design development amending the model over days before anything is reissued and even then the drawings that are issued will be done in stages as required over days or weeks for example wall setting out before ceilings, meantime I'm swapping from project to project on a daily basis.

Revision clouds on Views is a way of tracking changes over that time, constantly swapping between Views and multiple Sheets to add numerous revision clouds per revision to all the Sheets that show affected content as there would be no tracking otherwise, with seperate sheets for structure, finishes, ceilings, floors all at the time of amending the model throughout seems like spending time I don't have.

I'd prefer to deal with revisions at the time of drawing sheet issue, have them tracked upto that time and choose relevant revisions for relevant drawings form a tick box list that is already provided in sheet view properties.

Schedules Sheets, yes revision clouds on them directly, but then again I'd prefer to keep it that way just for those until Autodesk solve that problem.

But I will try as you suggest next project, your experience no doubt counts, I'm a newcomer to Revit, 20 yrs CAD.

Message 9 of 15
rosskirby

I understand the desire to track changes over time, but in my experience (7 years CAD, 5 years Revit), we've always communicated the changes to our consultants without using revision clouds.  We use those strictly for official revisions.  

While this works for us, and the types of projects we work on, it may not be ideal for you or your projects, but you'll be fighting the revision tool the whole time if you use it for internal coordination, and you'll add a not-insignificant amount of time to working on the project, as you'll have to manually go in and check/uncheck whether a certain revision appears in the revision schedule on a sheet.  

In my opinion, that goes against the grain of a "smart" revision tool, since you'd essentially be doing manual coordination, but to each his own.  There are other tools available for tracking changes that do a much better job than using revision clouds (Bluebeam comes to mind), so that may be one option to look into.

Hope that helps.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 10 of 15
cbcarch

Careful placing Revision Clouds on Sheets--this  (IMO) is like "drawing in Paper Space" from back in the cadd days-- "no-no".

Here's why:

If a View gets moved on the sheet, or if geometry moves, and you are not exteremely vigilant in making sure the Clouds move along with them, you can be in trouble.

In my old office, we "solved" this (not really) by enforcing a standard that if Clouds were placed on Sheets they must be Pinned, and the Views Pinned in position on the Sheets.

But all it takes is one mistake--an example was having Clouds on the Sheet over rows in a Door Schedule. The Schedule/View got edited and moved, but the Clouds were not moved accordingly--major fail! And good luck tracking this down, finding out who/why/when it happens, and how to "correct" the mistake!

I would recommend placing Clouds in the Views only. ( I added the ability to Cloud Schedules directly to the RFO Wishlist a long time ago.)

Just my 2 c worth........Smiley Wink

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 11 of 15
rosskirby
in reply to: cbcarch

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, Cliff.  We don't really move our details around once we're to the point where we're clouding things, so it has never presented a problem for us.  And if a detail is to move, that would be clouded.  And since we turn off clouds/tags from revisions that have already been issued, there would be no conflict.

As for clouding changes to schedules, there's not much you can do that will keep the cloud associated with the item that has moved, so I'm not sure how pinning would address that.  The only workaround I can think of would be to add some kind of manual conditional formatting to make a row show up gray if it's been modified, but even that has its own repercussions.

But if you've got something that works for you, more power to you.  Everyone has to find a workflow that suits their projects.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 12 of 15
afosterEMJBQ

Another fix to this issue would be to highlight all revisions on a sheet and/or all the revisions in a view that goes on said sheet and hide them. Once hidden they will no longer be greyed out in the 'revisions on sheet' property and can be removed from the title block. This is useful when you don't want the revisions in the title block anymore, but would still like to keep a record of the revision. We use this when revisions from the design phase of the project are no longer required and the construction phase has started, beginning with a new set of revisions. By hiding them you maintain the record because they can always be un-hidden but as long as they are not 'visible' on the sheet, Revit acts like they aren't there hence, removing them from the title block as long as the box is unchecked from 'revisions on sheet'.

Message 13 of 15
shujath36
in reply to: afosterEMJBQ

@afosterEMJBQ wrote:

Another fix to this issue would be to highlight all revisions on a sheet and/or all the revisions in a view that goes on said sheet and hide them. Once hidden they will no longer be greyed out in the 'revisions on sheet' property and can be removed from the title block. This is useful when you don't want the revisions in the title block anymore, but would still like to keep a record of the revision. We use this when revisions from the design phase of the project are no longer required and the construction phase has started, beginning with a new set of revisions. By hiding them you maintain the record because they can always be un-hidden but as long as they are not 'visible' on the sheet, Revit acts like they aren't there hence, removing them from the title block as long as the box is unchecked from 'revisions on sheet'.

But the problem is when you hide clouds in overall view it does not reflect in the dependent views and vice-versa. So I have to hide on each view and roll it back later which is actually a big task in itself. 

Message 14 of 15
lcosta37S5S

Duplicating Views? Uhmmm...

It's seems like Adesk has to find a better solution.

Very hard to keep good tracking of revisions/updates for later issuance without a resolution to this problem. 

Message 15 of 15
skeville-NBBJ

Just in case someone else runs up against this in the future:  If you select all the clouds on the sheet which are part of the revision and right click > hide in view (EH shortcut), it will hide it the revision the schedule as well.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report