Revit Architecture

*Chris Broda
Message 1 of 4 (175 Views)

Precast lintels and frames

175 Views, 3 Replies
08-18-2004 09:27 AM
Anyone have a suggestion as to how to add a precast lintel to windows? I've done it with a door by adding it in the door family , but wanted a more flexible thing for adding to windows no matter what size they are or type (casement vs. sliding, etc.). Otherwise I guess I need to construct one for each window family I create. Can this be done as an addition to a wall? On a side note, any idea why a family parameter that is derived from a formula (adding various dimensions detemined by other family parameters), does not update in a project when that family is loaded? I have a width based on adding door width and frame width and it will not update if I change the door width when creating another type. Hmmm. TIA Chris Broda
*Scott Davis
Message 2 of 4 (175 Views)

Re: Precast lintels and frames

08-18-2004 01:44 PM in reply to: *Chris Broda
you could create your lintel as a separate family, then nest that family into individual window families. Then link the parameters and the lintel will flex with the window as the size changes. "Chris Broda" wrote in message news:41238374$1_3@newsprd01... > Anyone have a suggestion as to how to add a precast lintel to windows? > > I've done it with a door by adding it in the door family , but wanted a more > flexible thing for adding to windows no matter what size they are or type > (casement vs. sliding, etc.). Otherwise I guess I need to construct one for > each window family I create. Can this be done as an addition to a wall? > > On a side note, any idea why a family parameter that is derived from a > formula (adding various dimensions detemined by other family parameters), > does not update in a project when that family is loaded? I have a width > based on adding door width and frame width and it will not update if I > change the door width when creating another type. Hmmm. > > TIA > > Chris Broda > >
*Chris Broda
Message 3 of 4 (175 Views)

08-18-2004 06:12 PM in reply to: *Chris Broda
Which family type would the lintel be? Can I do the same for the frame (jamb)? I'm trying to frame openings with precast concrete - about 12" wide. Thanks CB
*Scott Davis
Message 4 of 4 (175 Views)

08-19-2004 08:24 AM in reply to: *Chris Broda
I think you should make the lintel a generic family. You could do the same for a frame. If you go to the Revit forums at AUGI, there is several posts about nested families, and how they work. SD "Chris Broda" wrote in message news:4123fe75$1_2@newsprd01... > Which family type would the lintel be? > > Can I do the same for the frame (jamb)? I'm trying to frame openings with > precast concrete - about 12" wide. > > Thanks > > CB > >
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.