Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

portions of walls above the cut plane don't show up as dashed lines

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
2225 Views, 7 Replies

portions of walls above the cut plane don't show up as dashed lines

Hi!

I am trying to find how to draw portions of a wall
that are above the cut plane as dashed lines.  A wall has been punched with
the edit profile tool to create a "door". However, a structural beam is passing
above that section and I'd like to draw it as dashed lines in the plan
view.

(see illustration attached for clearer
description)

I experimented with the view ranges and graphics
override but I can't seem to find the right combination.  Some help or
pointers would appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
LisaDrago
in reply to: Anonymous

This may be a simple thought but why not draw in the dashed lines you need to see as detail lines?
LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Yes, thanks.  I ended up doing this as well
:)
Message 4 of 8
ruthellenwms

Do your dashed detail lines move when the model walls move?
Message 5 of 8
LisaDrago

They will move with the model only if you align and lock them to something in the model.
LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 6 of 8
patagoniadave

Hi, this is probably common knowledge, but I just spent a couple hours playing with this and was not able to find an online solution. 

To be clear, my issue was using the wall option on the opening section of the Architecture Ribbon, I was not able to see dashed lines at the soffit above the opening, while in plan. The best workaround I found online was to use a component opening, or draw and align model lines.

On a whim, before trying a workaround, I went to the modify ribbon, selected linework  in the view tab, changed the line style to hidden, and selected the invisible edge of the opening. It worked.

Again, this is probably such common knowledge that no one thought to write about it, but I am very new to the software. If someone else new runs through a similar search effort to what I just did, hopefully this will help.

Thanks

Message 7 of 8
ToanDN
in reply to: patagoniadave

By default, you cannot see lines of wall above the cut plane.  

Option 1: what you already did.

Option 2: create a family under Door category, with nothing except for an Opening Cut, and two symbolic lines locked to the edges of the wall.  Use Hidden, or create Overhead Object style and assign it to the lines.

Option 3: basically the in-place version of option 2, see screencast in a few minutes

Message 8 of 8
patagoniadave
in reply to: ToanDN

Very cool, thanks for the screencast, pretty much all of that was new to me. I need an entire library of those to watch if you have on handy...

What I like about the way I did it, is that I can stretch the wall opening with grips in real time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report