Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

portal

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
405 Views, 5 Replies

portal

Hello,

Can anyone direct me to a tutorial for building a steel portal,
making use of nested families.

thanks
steve
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Could you define what you mean by a 'portal'?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Could you define what you mean by a 'portal'?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

A steel frame, built in its most basic form from 4 members.
I want to make use of existing I beams, or C sections, etc (which are already in the revit familiy libraries, and able to be manipulated.)
But i also want to be able to control overall heights spans etc
using those members.

hope that is clearer!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Steve,

Take the tutorial on creating families.

Use reference planes to define your geometry. "Load from Library" the beams you plan to use, use the componet command to place them, & lock them to the reference planes.

If you want to use the beam tables in your family to select the beam size, you'll have to define a parameter in your portal family that has the same name as each of the beam parameters, then select the beams, go to properties, select edit, and using the "equal" button, match each beam parameter to the new portal beam parameter.

Then go to the directory where the beams are stored, find the .txt file associated with the beam you used (same name, only .txt extension), and make a copy of this file giving the same name (.txt extension) as your new portal family.

If you plan to have more than one size beam in the family, think about it. I'm sure there must be a way...
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks a lot,

It still sounds a little easier in theory!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report