Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Cloud not displaying correctly in Revit 2015

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
alvarjezj1979
4873 Views, 7 Replies

Point Cloud not displaying correctly in Revit 2015

Hello,

I am having some issues with point cloud in Revit 2015.  Everytime I import the scan cloud it doesn't fully appear.  Although, Revit recongnices the file and uploaded, unfortunately is it not visible at all. See attached image and rcp file. When inserting the point cloud scan in Revit, and then once loaded, I set it to Orthographic 3D view and then zoom to fit. I am still not able to see anything.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi,

1. No image attached
2. How the pointcloud is positioned? Shared, center, origin?
3. Is there any geometry in the revit file?

Try opening an empty file, or in visibility settings, remove absolutely everything (geometry and annotation) except the pointcloud, and then zoom to fit.

If it will appear, it's just inserted incorrectly. Pointclouds have the "world coordinates" burned in the file and if you try to do Origin to Origin it will usually position the point clouds n km from your model.
To insert pointcloud by shared coordinates, you'll need to :
1.position your project correctly
2.link a dummy autocad file center to center (or a survey if you have one) publish the coordinates to this file and detach.
3.link the same file by shared coordinates. (without this step it won't work !)
3.Now you'll be able to link the pointcloud by shared coordinates.
Message 3 of 8

Hi,

1. Images now attached. First image shows referece file attached as center to center. Second image shows the project position by shared coordinates. 

2. Point cloud was pistioned using all three options.

3. No there is no geometry in the revit filet

After following your suggenstion, we are still unable to view pointcloud at all. 

Message 4 of 8

Hi,

Thanks for the image.
So I understand that you can see the pointcloud, but parts of it are missing?
If so, check if all scan locations are loaded and visible. Go to Manage links and expand the RCP project file and check if all RCS files are loaded.
Do the same in the VG settings.

Hope this will solve your problem,

Maciej
Message 5 of 8
Lennartik
in reply to: maciejwypych

I have the same issue when linking in new pointclouds into Revit 2015. When doing it in R2014 they show up. If I open the file created in 2014 in 2015 the pointcloud shows up..

Lennart

Message 6 of 8
maciejwypych
in reply to: Lennartik

Message 7 of 8
Eduardo2012
in reply to: alvarjezj1979

I had the same problem, thanks to this forum I could solve the mystery. Here you can see the images of what was happening with my RCS file and the comparison after going back to Revit 2014.

Message 8 of 8
Jason_S
in reply to: alvarjezj1979

I found creating the RCS file through ReCap solves this issue.  Seems to convert much faster also. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report