Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point cloud from DWG

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
daniel.bates
3161 Views, 6 Replies

Point cloud from DWG

I'm having trouble importing a point cloud dwg. I've got it as a 2013 dwg file and I've tried converting to an indexed file through revit 2014. Not working, the indexed file ends up 1kB (dwg is 1.5MB).

Any clues?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi,

DWG is not a native point cloud format, so you won't be able to index it or there is a need to.
If there is a point cloud information in the dwg(I would be very surprised looking at the size of the file, but maybe I'm wrong - a tiny cloud perhaps :)) you can just link the dwg file directly to Revit (as a cad not as a point cloud)
Message 3 of 7

Yes. A point clouds dwg can simply be linked. Can't get terrain model to appear or contour lines though.
SketchUp to Revit perhaps?
Dan

London :- 7 Birchin Lane, London, EC3V 9BW - 020 7160 6000
Bristol:- Rivergate House, 70 Redcliff Street, Bristol, BS1 6LS - 0117 923 2535
Plymouth:- East Quay House, 22 Sutton Road, Sutton Harbour, Plymouth, PL4 0HN - 01752 261 282

Disclaimer
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify: info@aww-uk.com. Use of the material is restricted to clients and consultants in the development of the project. AWW (Atkins Walters Webster) reserve information Copyright. Copyright (c) 2013 Atkins Walters & Webster. AWW may monitor email traffic data. AWW is the Trading name of Atkins Walters and Webster Ltd, registered in England and Wales with the company number 3489253 VAT No. GB 140101445 Registered Office: Rivergate House, 70 Redcliff Street, Bristol, BS1 6LS.
Message 4 of 7
maciejwypych
in reply to: daniel.bates

Hi,
I need some more info to be able to help.
So does your dwg contains an actual point cloud? Or is it a top survey with a set of points?
Is there any terrain geometry in the dwg file and/ or topo lines?
Message 5 of 7
daniel.bates
in reply to: maciejwypych

It's a set of points each with an XYZ position. Origin of the point cloud dwg is set in the file so that it lines up with the OS survey information. As a set of a few thousand points it's only a megabyte large.

London :- 7 Birchin Lane, London, EC3V 9BW - 020 7160 6000
Bristol:- Rivergate House, 70 Redcliff Street, Bristol, BS1 6LS - 0117 923 2535
Plymouth:- East Quay House, 22 Sutton Road, Sutton Harbour, Plymouth, PL4 0HN - 01752 261 282

Disclaimer
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify: info@aww-uk.com. Use of the material is restricted to clients and consultants in the development of the project. AWW (Atkins Walters Webster) reserve information Copyright. Copyright (c) 2013 Atkins Walters & Webster. AWW may monitor email traffic data. AWW is the Trading name of Atkins Walters and Webster Ltd, registered in England and Wales with the company number 3489253 VAT No. GB 140101445 Registered Office: Rivergate House, 70 Redcliff Street, Bristol, BS1 6LS.
Message 6 of 7

Hi,

If you want to convert it to a topography you can use a data extraction
tool in ACAD - see this blog for details
http://ideatesolutions.blogspot.com.au/2011/09/data-what-using-data-extractions-to.html

Or you can use a manual workflow like this -
http://www.ebim.co.uk/topography-converting-point-data-and-kerb-modelling/

Hope this helps,

Maciej
Message 7 of 7

Data Extraction was the way. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report