Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help! PLEASE MASS AND IMPORTS!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jeanma27
401 Views, 7 Replies

Please Help! PLEASE MASS AND IMPORTS!

So i am working on this project, and i imported this mass from sketchup from an .skp file, so when i imported the mass it gave me a lot of little masses and so it makes the big mass i imported, but my problem is that when i want to use the "wall by face" tool i have to do it with every one of these little masses, this is really complicated and slow, so my question is, is there any way for me to select all these masses at once and make them all into wall by face at the same time? 12.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ennujozlagam
in reply to: jeanma27

Hi . Since nobody reply in your enquiries at this moment. Tried to answer your question but not too sure if my answer is correct. Please find attached some sample.

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 8
enslinj

Hi there,

When you import a .skp file into Revit like you have done the surface gets truncated / faceted in Revit like you currently experiencing.

I may be wrong, but in my experience is there isn’t a way to translate a smooth surfaces from Sketch-up, Rhino or Max natively? Somebody correct me if I am wrong?

The good news is, using points in the Revit mass tool you can snap to triangulated .skp surfaces & intersection points & use this to mould smooth non triangulated Revit surface relatively quickly.

The recreation process is a down side, but the up side you will have one wall (per face) morphed around the surface versus the current situation where you thousands of little segments to deal with.

Hope this guides you to understanding how to tackle the problem.

Regards

Enslin

Message 4 of 8
cbcarch

Just my opinion after many years of seeing these type of issues:

Model it in Revit, using the Conceptual Massing tools. It is not as "easy" to model in Revit, but in the end it will save time becasue you are using a single software and not wasting time trying to "recreate" complex geometry from Sketchup (or other 3D modeling apps).

If there is a "designer" who generates prelim. designs with Sketchup, spend time and resources in training him/her to use Revit instead.

In the end, you will be miles ahead--and have a single-source of software for conceptual design all the way through documentation.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 5 of 8
rosskirby
in reply to: enslinj

You're not wrong.  Here's a link to tutorial on removing all those facets via Max.  If you don't have max, you're out of luck.  You'll have to re-create the geometry in Revit, then apply the curtain wall by face.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 6 of 8
enslinj
in reply to: rosskirby

Wow!!! First day on forum & I am allready learning game changing tricks!!

Awesome tip Ross & thank goodness for something called "Autodesk building design suite premium " Smiley Very Happy

I cant wait to go remove all lines from the 3D cars & boats we using in our Revit presentaions!!!

Message 7 of 8
rosskirby
in reply to: enslinj

Glad I could help.  I wish I could take credit, but that should definitely go to the RFO user pedroeron who posted the original solution here and to (fellow Expert Elite) Luke Johnson, who re-posted the solution on his blog.  I would never have figured it out for myself.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 8 of 8
jeanma27
in reply to: rosskirby

Thanks so much guys! ross & guys your reply's really helped me out! had never thought of that way to solve the issue

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report