Revit Architecture

Revit Architecture

Valued Contributor
Keldar67
Message 1 of 8 (629 Views)

Plan visibility of high level wall mounted objects

629 Views, 7 Replies
07-31-2012 06:03 PM

Our users want to be able to display things like wall mounted phones, coat hooks etc that may be at heights such as 1500mm or 1700mm above FFL. I have tried creating Symbolic lines at Ref Level within the family thinking that this would display, but I believe that because the 3D geometry is out of range, the symbolic linework is never brought into play??

What is the best way to represent these high level objects....? Changing the view depth to do this doesn't feel like the correct solution...

I have temporarily changed the Symbolic lines to Model lines as a short term solution, but would like to find a more robust solution long term

Any help/advice appreciated

Ian

Mentor
parveen.revit
Message 2 of 8 (623 Views)

Re: Plan visibility of high level wall mounted objects

07-31-2012 08:40 PM in reply to: Keldar67

another workaround could be to use Plan Region.

I know it's time consuming but it works.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)
*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 3 of 8 (611 Views)

08-01-2012 04:17 AM in reply to: parveen.revit

Modify the families, drawing a projection of the object at the reference level, made with symbolic lines, hidden line style. By doing this, even if the elevation of the 3d object is higher than the cut plane of the project, you will see the projection.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Valued Contributor
Keldar67
Message 4 of 8 (607 Views)

08-01-2012 05:02 AM in reply to: Keldar67
Fantastic... That sounds like exactly what were looking for... Thanks I'll give that a go in the morning :smileyhappy:
Cheers
Valued Contributor
Keldar67
Message 5 of 8 (582 Views)

08-01-2012 06:02 PM in reply to: Keldar67

Sorry tried this and it still doesn't seem to be displaying anything, also it tells me when I place the family in the project that none of the elements place will be visible.

I have tried setting the Symbolic line at Ref Level to "Hidden Lines" as you suggested, I've also tried setting them to "Overhead Lines" but neither option seems to have worked.

Am I missing something...?

Regards

Ian

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 6 of 8 (577 Views)

08-01-2012 07:09 PM in reply to: Keldar67

That error means something else, that does not have to do anything with the family itsef, but to the category of the family. Probably the category is off in that view.

About the families, what I said before should work, but keep in mind that if the objects are two small, like a phone on the wall, it might be difficult to display that with hidden lines. It will probably look as continuous lines anyway.

Yet another solution is to activate "Plan/RCP" for the visibility settings of the solids in the family, then, in the project, the objects will be visible, (with continuous lines), even if the object is above the cutting plane.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Employee
loboarch
Message 7 of 8 (557 Views)

08-02-2012 05:58 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo_Medina wrote:

Modify the families, drawing a projection of the object at the reference level, made with symbolic lines, hidden line style. By doing this, even if the elevation of the 3d object is higher than the cut plane of the project, you will see the projection.

Another trick you can do is to draw an invisible model line from the geometry down to the reference level.  By making this a model line the family will end up being "cut" by the cut plane of the view and the element will be visible in the plan. 

Jeff Hanson
Sr. Subject Matter Expert
Autodesk, Revit User Experience
*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 8 of 8 (538 Views)

08-03-2012 05:09 PM in reply to: Keldar67

Yes, the invisible line trick is a good one.

Yet another tool we have available to affect the display of a family in plan view in a project is the view range settings in the floor plan view of the family itself, in the family editor. With that, combined with "show (or not show) in Plan/RCP", we can predetermine the height at which a model family is going to be cut.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!