Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placing LIghts

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
PhilvK
19546 Views, 6 Replies

Placing LIghts

I am trying to place lights in a ceiling. I am working in the Ceiling Plan view, and I believe my view ranges area set correctly. But when trying to place lights, I get the no-no-no circle with the slash through it, along with the message “Can’t place inserts outside of hosts. These elements won’t be copied”. However, even with that message, the lights are still on the ceiling placed! What am I doing wrong?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Is it an Architectural or  MEP Lighting Fixture?

They are different....

1. the Architectural Lighting Fixture is defined as : Ceiling, Wall , Floor based - and for that it can be placed only on those elements (Ceiling based to ceiling, wall based to wall...)
  2. while MEP Lighting Fixture is defined only Face Based and it can be placed on any face - In order to place it on a ceiling - in Ceiling Plan - from Modify/Place Component , select : Place on Face

Image 5.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 7

The lights I am using are the Architectural-Internal recessed can downlights. They work fine on another project, so it must be something peculiar to my ceiling.

Message 4 of 7
David_W_Koch
in reply to: PhilvK

Is your ceiling the out-of-the-box Compound Ceiling : GWB on Mtl. Stud, or some similar ceiling with a material assigned to the visible component that has no surface pattern?  I get that message in Revit 2015 when placing ceiling-based fixtures on the GWB on Mtl. Stud ceiling (even though the fixture will still be placed if you ignore the message).  On a duplicate of that ceiling, with a duplicated Gypsum Wall Board material to which I assigned a surface pattern, I do not get that message.

I do not understand why a ceiling without a surface hatch yields that tool tip message, but fortunately you can still place the fixture.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 7

Same in Revit 2018. It will allow you to place a recess can on an 8' ceiling, but if you're using 10' ceilings, you must have a hatch pattern. 

Message 6 of 7
corybull
in reply to: jeffrey.fuller

Been struggling with this myself. I made the material for my floor beams "Structure, Wood Joist/floor beam" and changed the transparency to "100" . Seemed to work just fine. Will play with it some more...

Message 7 of 7
resbillups
in reply to: PhilvK

Not being able to place lights in newly created reflected ceiling plan. I decided to post just in case this is still an issue for anyone. After 4 hours of playing around the issue is in the Properties tab, under View Template - should be set to Architectural plan. This can be done in the discipline filter- architectural, view type filter, all - architectural plan. after change the discipline back to none in order to gain access to vg overrides . This will make the ceiling viewable and allow you to place lights on the new ceiling plan.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report