Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Place objects relative to point

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
JM-Kristiansson
1302 Views, 6 Replies

Place objects relative to point

Hi!

Usually when you draft, you need to place objects relative to other points. Is this not possible in Revit? Temporary dimensions are helpful, but sometimes it measures a distance I don't have the value of. If I can't select the relative distance for myself, I have to place the window or door and then adjust the distance afterwards. I'm probably just missing something?

/Mikael

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Use REFERENCE PLANES

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 7

Reference Planes can be used almost in the same way  Construction Lines are used in Autocad... you can  offset, copy a plane so to make alignements for your objects when you insert them

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
pachimon
in reply to: JM-Kristiansson

When you select an object displays a temporal dimension. If the dimension is not the appropriate, you can click and drag one end of the dimension to reference it to another point which you know the dimension. Then change the value of the temporal dimension. 

Also, if before releasing the point, you can press TAB key repeatedly to choose the reference best.

Pachi Monton
pachi@therevitroom.com
www.therevitroom.com
Message 5 of 7

Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure how this would speed up my drafting though. I have a sketch with certain dimensions between doors, windows etc that I'm making building drawings from. I simply want to use those reference dimensions to place my windows etc. In AutoCAD or in ArchiCAD you can easily select any reference point and place your window.

Message 6 of 7
JM-Kristiansson
in reply to: pachimon

Thanks Pachimon, I tried this way and it works. However it takes the double amount of time compared to if you have a snap tool with reference point. I think it's remarkable that Revit doesn't have it.

Message 7 of 7
pachimon
in reply to: JM-Kristiansson

Revit has not solved the problem of inserting a door or window at a distance of a straight wall during insertion. First insert the door near the wall. You then select the door and move the grips of the temporal dimension to dimension the wall. Then choose the temporal dimension text and modify it.
Sometimes it may be necessary to change the configuration of the temporary dimensions. Attached photo.
If you know anything of the Revit API in this post shows a small program to solve your problem (and everyone else):
http://boostyourbim.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/setting-door-position-relative-to-nearby-walls/
Regards

Pachi Monton
pachi@therevitroom.com
www.therevitroom.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report