Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pivoting by angle parameters

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
dcormack
767 Views, 2 Replies

Pivoting by angle parameters

How can multiple pivots be acheived? Take an arm  which pivots about a lower point and a second arm  which pivots at the end of the first arm. THis has absolutely no relevance to architecture and purely abstract!

I can get the lower arm to pivot. Ref line RL1 is snapped to the lower pivot point (end point align to horiz and vert ) and then an angle param (A1) onto the ref line. The nested arm is then hosted to RL1 ref plane and then aligned both to the RL and to its end point. This flexes both in rotation and moves with the pivot point vertically. Screen shot attached.

I have tried several ways to establish an upper pivot point and whatever I do seems take priority over previous params and constraints. I need ref plane/line to establish the upper pivot point which moves with the arm. Locking a ref line end point to the centre point seems to result in the lower pivot point being challenged. The centre point remains on RL2 but is shifted beyond the set pivot point - see screen shot RL2 added. The horiz ref line will move vertically with the lower pivot point but will not rotate with RL 1 about the lower point

Screen shot Flexing Ref Lines shows what I am trying to achieve where angle A1 rotates RL1, a moving end point is established and RL2 will pivot with angle A2. Whatever I do adding subsequent ref lines seem to take priority over the geometry which is the opposite of normal behaviour.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
kfielding
in reply to: dcormack

Hi,

Hopefully I've understood what you're trying to acieve.

Attach is my example.

There are two key thing that need to happen.  

Firstly the parameters need to be locked, this will prevent the arm Angle 1 affecting Angle 2.

Secondly, and most importantly for this to work, Reference line 1 need to have it's start point, (the end that intersects the origin) aligned and locked in place in both the vertical and horizontal directions.

Hope this solves your issue.

Kevin

If this solve your issue, please accept this as a solution

Kevin Fielding
BIM Manager, AEW Architects
Manchester, UK

If my post solves your issue, please accept this as a solution and give me a thumbs up!
Message 3 of 3
dcormack
in reply to: kfielding

Yes that works - didnt try adding length param to the ref lines. Type Props = param seems to be getting the nested part flexing nicely now. Have locked the ref line to the pivot point but just snapped the nested part to ref line endpoint (but with align lock to axis)  and thats seems to fix the constraints being challenged.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report