Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pinning & locking elements in model

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
10112 Views, 5 Replies

Pinning & locking elements in model

HI! I am not sure about what should be pinned & what should be locked. My main concern is Grid lines, Levels, Walls & Dimensions!.

I don't like the idea of having things floating or changing around on me. From what I understand "Locking' is not the way to go becuase it loads up your file in size. Is there a standard that people use for this. Using Revit 2013.

Thanks!

Paul

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
yavork
in reply to: Anonymous

My suggestion is to use worksets - we put grids and levels on different worksets, pin them. If you need more than pin (because pinning actually doesn't prevent deleting) you can logon in revit as different user (I call that user 'lock') check-out the worksets with the grids and levels,close without relinquishing ,  change back user to the usual one and now grids and levels are untouchable. Drawback is that if you need to change grids and levels you have to repeat the process.

In the revit 2014 now you have filter that can exclude pined objects from being selected, so you can try that and see if  it works for you when you get 2014.

Good luck

Yavor

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: yavork

Thanks Yavork! This is what I would want to do is "Pin" them. I will look
into the worksets as this I think would be necessary to protect my work.

Do you Pin your Exterior walls!

Thanks

Paul

RYMAL DRAFTING INC.

EDMONTON, ALBERTA

(780)634-5303
Message 4 of 6
yavork

The walls we lock to the grid lines, so whan you have to move it you unpinn the grid first.

Yavor

Message 5 of 6
LisaDrago

I would suggest using pinning and locking to a minimum.

If I link a revit file or a autocad file - I would pin that in place so I don't grab and move it by accident.

Locking dimensions - I never do...(well in family building I do but that is totally different then project work) I have had problems on a project where we had someone locking dimensions but because of the relationships Revit automatically makes between objects he locked down walls on the opposite side of the project that could not be modified... It took a bit to figure out what it was but it came down to some locked dimensions.

If you do want to use them - do it sparingly.

Everyone has different experiences using it - so see what works best for you.

Hope this helps!

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: LisaDrago

Thanks for that Feedback!

Paul

RYMAL DRAFTING INC.

EDMONTON, ALBERTA

(780)634-5303

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report