Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pile sheet as wall?

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
jz4all
6838 Views, 22 Replies

Pile sheet as wall?

Hi

I have different pile sheets as dwg format. I want to use them as a steel wall surrounding a pit where the foundations construction?  Can anybody tell me in steps how can I do that?

Thanks

Jaf

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
jz4all
in reply to: jz4all

Or in other words, how to make the pile sheet as Family and works under the wall command?

Jaf

Message 3 of 23
AJA14

If you are interested in created a loadable family that would be a bit hectic but doable. anyways, create a new family (in-place or loadable) and start from the generic category. Then you would need to model the extrusion and add parameters and constraints in case of loadable families.

As for using it as a wall, I'm afraid not possible because walls are system families and you can only create new types and not new families. Maybe someone has found a better way but hope this helps.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 4 of 23
Alfredo_Medina

@jz4all wrote:

Or in other words, how to make the pile sheet as Family and works under the wall command?

Jaf

Can you please provide a graphic example, an image?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 23
jz4all
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thank you for your response

here is een example JPG for what I want to de in Revit. And also a DWG file for an example pile sheet.

Jaf

Message 6 of 23
Alfredo_Medina

Use the profile in the .dwg as a guide to create a curtain wall panel family. Then, assign that type of panel to a curtain wall type, without mullions.

2-20-2013 9-10-08 AM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 23
AJA14

Create an in-place generic family is in my opinion your best option. Otherwise you could create a loadable family with a nested array but it will not be easy if you're not familiar with family creation. Maybe Alfredo has some good ideas.

Regards.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Message 8 of 23
AJA14
in reply to: AJA14

See. I told you Alfredo might have some good ideas. Thanks Alfredo. Good stuff as usual.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Message 9 of 23
jz4all

Hi,

Thanks for uour response.
Very nice try Alfredo. But it is not practical, when we face the reality. When we talk about thousands of pile sheets pieces, and more than hundred soorts of theses piles. And every type , has a variation of thickness. Moreover when designer comes from time to time with a changing of the sheet type. In AutoCAD these changings can take minutes.
I saw before Revit drafters doing it. But at that time I was not interested. I think they creat from these pile sheets a loadable family with a nested array, just like a dynamic block in AutoCAD. How to do it in such way? That what I would like to know.

Thanks again

Jaf

Message 10 of 23
AJA14

Hi. doing that is not a simple task. However following is a tutorial I found online that might help you, but it was done on Revit 2009. Same concept applies so good luck.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Message 11 of 23
AJA14

Hi. Use the copy to clipboard tool and then paste aligned to selected levels.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Message 12 of 23
Alfredo_Medina

@jz4all wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for uour response.(,,,)

Well, your original posts were about how to make this as a wall, and my response shows a curtain wall, which is a type of wall. How do you know that it is "not practical" if you did not know how to make this as a wall? You said "in AutoCAD this can take minutes". Well, this is not AutoCAD. Now you say something different, that you want an array, then, in that case, you need to learn how to make linear arrays with formulas, which actually takes more steps and time than a curtain wall.

Message 13 of 23
jz4all

Thank you Alfredo,

Maybe as a beginner I did not put my question in a proper way. Sorry.
I could as you described, (but WALL not Curtain), after changing the thickness and material to steel, then walk a long the pile sheet profile. Then (copy array) to make all the wall. And with inserting of an dwg file to show the details could be a nice trick and gives satisfaction to some limits. Because as you see , I can not show the variation in thickness, and the connection endings between twoo single sheets.
But my ambition to use the original form of the profile as it is, and I saw before such possibility used by Revit drafters. But at that time I was not interested.
Thank you again and thanks to everybody who tried to help.
 I'll be appreciate if some body comes with a new idea.

Jaf

Message 14 of 23
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: AJA14

Oh, so every segment of the pile sheet that is shown in your picture is a thin wall? That is too much work. How is that easier than having a curtain wall going from start to finish in two clicks, the solution that you discarded as "impractical"?!

Message 15 of 23
jz4all

Hi Alfredo,

Can you explain it to me in steps ( if it is possible) how to make the pile sheet as a curtain wall?

Thanks

Jaf

Message 16 of 23
Alfredo_Medina

It is basically, as I wrote in message # 6 above. It's a curtain panel family with an extrusion that represents one metal piece; then this panel family is assigned as the panel of a curtain wall. Please refer to Wikihelp for more detailed information on curtain walls, and for the Families Guide as well.

Message 17 of 23
jz4all

Thanks.
That was the treasure I was searching !!!Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 23
Laura_CrisanJ4UNL

I'm working on something similar for pumping stations. The way I've done is creating a new 'curtain wall panel.rfa'  where to place your pile types and forms (S, Z) and use it in the project under Curtain wall. Duplicate the existing  curtain wall -> select the curtain panel you created -> set the "fix distance" to the needed value (1200mm in my case) and should work. My issue is that if the wall length is not a multiple of "fix distance value", the last element will overlap (I've set up some visible parameters to sort this issue out for time being). Not sure if this works for you as well. 

Here is the link that helped me out with this matter: Metal Sheet Cladding in Revit Tutorial - YouTube

If there is someone who knows how to avoid the overlapping, please advice.

Thank you in advance

Message 19 of 23

Is this what you are talking about ovelapping? I would set them to minimum spacing

syman2000_0-1695230854709.png

syman2000_1-1695231516337.png

That way your curtainwall will not have any overlapping at the end. If you need to be exact, then I would type in 1200 x [number of pile] to get the exact length and fix distance of 1200

syman2000_2-1695231605048.png

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 20 of 23

Hi Syman,

Thank you for your prompt replay. That's very helpful, thanks a lot. I did tried this option before, though, on an existing wall (probably this was the issue) with no result. 

Most of the times it's an obvious solution and too easy for my brain to accept it :)).

Much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report