Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom Area Separation Lines.

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
IAN~JAMES
3639 Views, 6 Replies

Phantom Area Separation Lines.

We have a project where at some point in the past, the decision was made to delete all of the Area Plans. However we are now trying to attend to warnings in the file and there are quite a number relating to Area Separation lines that are slightly off axis. The problem is we cannot locate the Area Separation Lines, as all of the Area plans have been deleted.

We have managed to delete these through the Warning Dialog, but I'm a little confused as to why this is even possible. I thought the lines were hosted in the Area Plans. and Once the Area Plans were deleted then any dependancies ie the Area Separation lines would also be deleted.

can anybody shed any light...?

thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Try this:

1. in Plan View > Select All using Crossing or Window
  2. Modify/Multi Select >Filter
  3. Filter dialog Window opens - click Check None
  4. Now, check <Room Separation> and Apply - then OK
  5. Erase the selected entities..

Image 259.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 3 of 7

Hi Thanks for the answer, but just to clarify... All of the Area Plans in the model have been deleted... therefore there are no views inwhich to select the area separation lines.

I thought that this wouldn't be possibly, but for some reason it is.

Just wondering if (a) anyone else has experienced this, and (b) if anyone has a solution...?

Thanks

Message 4 of 7

I think that somewhere is a missunderstood...

To resume: I understood you have erased all the Rooms and Areas?

But Separation Lines are Model Lines with Room Boundings attribute and they do not belong to Areas.

The same as Walls that are Room Bounding option ( a by default option) .They are not erased both with  your erased Rooms...

So , being independent entities , Separations Lines survive to erasing the Rooms....

Have a try...I did it and it worked like described .....

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 5 of 7

Hi Thanks again, but I wasn't talking about the Area separation lines not being deleted because the area had been deleted, I was talking about if the view that they belong to is deleted.

I have just tried an experiment where I have 2 Levels (Level 01 & Level 02) I create a simple building outline and then create an Area Plan (Rentable) for each level. I create the area boundary lines and place areas in, I now can create a schedule and everything works fine.

I record the ID's of the elements in the Level 01 Area Plan which is basically the 4 lines of the outline the area and the area tag. I now have 6 element ID's written down

I delete the Level 01 Area Plan

I use select by Element ID to see if I can still Select and/or display the Area Elements

The 4 lines and the Area itself are still selectable, but when you try and "Show" them you get an error message saying that

----------------------------------------------------------------

No good view could be found

The Area Tag, obviously because this is annotation gives the following message:

The following Element ID's are invalid and won't

be used: 140898

The thing is, these Area boundary lines are now lost in the system, They are not causing any Warnings so are not accessible even through the Warning dialog box under normal circumstances.

Unless you have the ID's of the elements you cannot delete them. The Area still appears in the Area schedule, but is no longer modifyable...

Any Ideas anybody...?

Message 6 of 7
IAN~JAMES
in reply to: IAN~JAMES

I actually just answered my own question...

it just occurred to me after posting the last message to re-create the Area plan

et-voila...!

The Area Boundary Lines and Areas are visible... again.

The Area Plan has to be the correct Type to show the correct line styles... The project this threw the original error on was a 60 something story tower block so someone has quite a bit of work ccut out to re-instate these plans and tidy up the unwanted areas and separation lines and then delete the plans again if that's what they really want to do.

I thought that because the areas and separation lines were only visible in these views and no others that they were hosted in and by the view itself. I guess that these are just model elements that are somehow filtered to only show in these views...?

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
ecastilloRZGMQ
in reply to: IAN~JAMES

I did as you said, and recreated the area plan views and tons of old area boundary lines showed up that I had not found otherwise (area schedules, etc.) Thanks for your help! Everyone, just recreate a new area plan and delete old lingering area lines.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report