Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pasting Text from MS Word to Revit

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
6143 Views, 7 Replies

Pasting Text from MS Word to Revit

Ok, this is a strange one. One of our structural engineers is just getting into Revit. Obviously they have many structural notes in MS Word. All of the notes are capitalized.

When he copies and pastes from Word to Revit (Either as a drafting view or legend) Revit converts all of the capitalized words to the proper punctuation. It is amazing that it can do that, however, we need the text to remain capitalized as it was originally in the MS Word document.

What are we doing wrong?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
phildebrandt
in reply to: Anonymous

Try saving the Word file as plain text or you can use an external tool that converts text notes to different cases like the one at http://www.pkhlineworks.ca

Message 3 of 8
staceyclear
in reply to: phildebrandt

Try:  open MS word document; highlight all text to be copied; copy to clipboard; go back to Revit drawing; start some text (just anything - so that you are looking at a box with a few letters and the active cursor) then stop and paste the text into this active box.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: phildebrandt

Thanks philderbrandt. Saving to a plain TXT file and copy/pasting seemed to work. There will be some formatting (indents mostly) that need to be re-done, but I'll take that over re-typing the entire document.

Message 5 of 8
ToanDN

Is the font in Word a Capitalized font by any chance?  If you highlight all and change to a regular font in Word, are they stay Uppercase or are they back to Undercase?

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

The fonts are already all upper case in the Word Doc. When I copy paste Revit changes the capilization to only upper case for the beginning of sentences. Very impressive, but not what i needed. I tried to recreate from scratch and could not. I think it has something to do with the format the original word document was created in.

Message 7 of 8
ToanDN

I understand that.  What I meant is there are some fonts always display as uppercase regardless of how the text were typed in and formatted.  So when you change the text to an other normal font, they show their actual cases.  But you already got it solved, so it doesn;t really matter.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

The original DOC was done in "Courier New." I switched it to "Arial" and copied/pasted with no luck. I created a new DOC file with Arial, copied/pasted and it worked.

The original word doc is 4-5 years old. Seems like the font is not the issue, but something in how the file/document was originally set up.

As you say, does not matter now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report