Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pasting family between projects fails

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
wblaney-cda
377 Views, 4 Replies

Pasting family between projects fails

The attached family will not copy/paste between projects. It's about as simple as can be, and I have tried purging, resaving deleting geometry - everything.  The only thing I can do to get it working is start a new family and copy the geometry and reference planes into the new family. That also means that I have to re-create any formulas used in the parameters.

One small model like this is no problem to fix, but I've found numerous families in our library that have this problem, and I am not looking forward to re-creating months worth of work.

Can you help tell me what is wrong here and how to fix these families? Maybe even find a way to automate the process?

At a loss-

Wes

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
L.Maas
in reply to: wblaney-cda

Wes,

I can not seem to reproduce the problem.

-I opened your pedestal family, no problem (automatically converted to Revit 2014)

-I loaded it into one of our projkects, no problem.

-Placed an instance in the project, no problem.

-Within that project copied the family several times, no problem.

-From that project used copy/paste to copy it to a different project, no problem.

Maybe I understood you wrong, but I can not find anything wrong with the family at the moment,

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 5
wblaney-cda
in reply to: L.Maas

Thanks for looking into it. I can indeed confirm that this "undocumented feature" that limits copy/paste between projects has been removed in v2014. Content that does not work properly in 2012 or 2013 works like a charm in 2014.

Doesn't do much good if I'm supposed to give content in earlier versions to a manufacturer, though. If you have the ability and inclination to test in earlier version, I would be appreciative.

Thanks!
Message 4 of 5
L.Maas

Wes,

Sorry, we do not have older versions of Revit on our computers as there is no requirement for us.

So maybe somebody else can assist you.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 5
Alisder.Brown

Have you tried loading & placing the family instead of Copy/Paste?

Thats the way i would always do it, not a huge fan of the copy/pase function for project to project content.

Regards

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report