Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partial rendering???

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1617 Views, 11 Replies

Partial rendering???

What Revit 2012 setting makes walls and floors disappear when rendering is selected?

I have a Revit 8.1 project that renderes the model just fine. When I import it into Revit 2010 it also remders the model but I I have to reassign the custom finishes. But when I upgrade it to 2012 and render - the walls and floors are suddenly missing!

What's up?

See attachment.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Materials have changed drastically since 2010, with the new Mental Ray rendering engine and "Protein 2" Materials.

The old "Accurender" materials left over from old versions will not translate when upgrading legacy projects to 2012.

Try assigning new materials to the "missing walls and floors" in 2012, then render.

Try placing NEW walls or floors in 2012, and test render.

cheers

Message 3 of 12
ryan.duell

Adding to this thread as well; there is a potential related issue described in the post below:

Troubleshooting Elements that disappear when Rendering

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 4 of 12
cammander
in reply to: ryan.duell

Partial Rendering Round 2.  Now I'm really annoyed with Revit 2012!

We started a completely new project in Revit 2012. Renderings worked fine up to a point. Then suddenly the walls and site disappeared in renderings.  

2011-09-13 - no walls problem.jpg

Btw, I have the lastest build and updates too.  Below is what the "realiastic" mode option looks like.

2011-09-13 - problem.jpg

Why does Revit 2012 have to be so fragile??? I suspect the issue could be importing old family components like the car in the garage.

Message 5 of 12
cammander
in reply to: cammander

Camatcba-cammander is the same person

I found what is causing the partial rendering.

When I insert an old Revit block from 2002 (the Viper car), it immediately makes the walls and floors disappear in a rendering.  I've attached the rfa file for your review and verification.

We've been with Revit almost since the beginning. So we have lots of old rvt families that we import and upgrade. Every time I import the Viper, which I like, it messes up Revit 2012's rendering.

How can I tell which of the old revit family/blocks cause this?

Message 6 of 12
cammander

Cliff,

I think I found the problem - old families. Look at my reply elsewhere in this string.

Message 7 of 12
cammander
in reply to: ryan.duell

Ryan,

I think I found the culprit - it was the Viper.rfa block from 2002. How many more of the old ones are out there that will cause this issue?

Cam

Message 8 of 12
cammander

I'd like to report that as soon as I removed the aforementioned Viper.rfa file from the rvt file - no saves - no purges - just a new render - all was restored and fixed. The walls and floors started behaving correctly again.Smiley Wink

The solution was far simpler than was suggested by anyone. 

My recommendation to anyone experiencing this issue: Start deleting old and complex rfa files one at a time to see if that resolves the issue.  Its quicker than any of the alterantives = saves lost time & money.

My recommendation to the Revit group. Improve the upgrade of old rfa files so that they don't alter the behavior of the entire rvt file. 

Message 9 of 12
cammander

The original post project issue was also instantly solved when the Explorer.rfa was deleted - no saves - no purges.

Attached is the Explorer file for your review as well. it seems as if my old vehicle rfa files are the problem.

Perhaps you can find the commonality and resolve the issue in a future 2012 update.

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Any chance that Viper was a Cad file imported into a Wall or Floor Hosted Family? Or had some constraints associated with it? 

I too have been with Revit since V1, and have never seen a vehicle family start deleting walls,etc.

I'd take a hard look at that Viper family--probably something in the Dodge DNA ( Or, maybe use a nice German car instead--say a 911 GT2!!! )  jokes.......Smiley Wink

cheers

Message 11 of 12
ryan.duell

Thank you for the family example; I could reproduce the same behavior and I am currently logging this with the development team for review.  Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread.

Ryan Duell
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

I would like to report I have had the same thing happen to me. Had an old car family and was rendering exactly the same. Thank god for this thread or I would have been lost.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report