Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric array

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Peltsu1714
2283 Views, 3 Replies

Parametric array

Hi,
I'm trying to create a parametric array in a family. However I'm getting continuously message that constraints are not satisfied. If I have just one object and I change its length, no error occur. But when I create an array from that object two things will happen.
(1) If I lock the object to the end I want it to be fixed I get an error.
(2) If on the otherhand I do not lock the object to the end the array will be shifted (when I change the length parameter) so that the first object will move "downwards" (and keeps it original length) and the last object will be in its original position. I've tried with many different combinations of reference planes and without them. What am I missing here ? Well I actually know it - but please could somene help me ?
Yours
Seppo Peltomaa
Architect Bsc
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hard to see what your problem is but if you have made an array, revit normally makes a group of the object you have arrayed. Try un-grouping the array (so the array is removed) ant them do a running dimension between all the objects then equalize this dimension. Lock the top to your top ref plane and the bottom to your bottom ref plane, then add your length parameter. (Remember to Pin your top ref plane). Edited by: Customrevitfamilies.com on Jan 23, 2009 11:08 PM
Message 3 of 4
Peltsu1714
in reply to: Peltsu1714

Hi,
maybe I wasn't too precise in my description. The length (x-direction) with number of objects (increase or decrease the number) to fit in a certain space is something that I managed to solve. But the height (y-direction) drives me nuts. Why does it work with just one object and not with many. If I have it right, Revit "copies" all properties of the original one, and so this should work ok. The "top" reference plane is fixed distance from familys pinned Front/Back reference plane. I've even tried to put the object straight to the Front/Back reference plane - same result.
Yours
Seppo Peltomaa
Architecht Bsc
Message 4 of 4
lauragquesnell
in reply to: Peltsu1714

The trick is to create a component family of the item you want to array with the parametric values you would like to control, pay attention to what you name the parametric values and do not create any 'family types'. Then import that family (it becomes a nested family) into the family where it will be arrayed. At this point you will create the same parameters as the nested family (make sure the original values are the same to avoid error messages). Once this is done place the component and using the element properties dialog box select edit/new. From this box you will click on the grey boxes on the right of the parameters you have created and link them to the parameters (same name) in the host family which should show up in a new dialog box of their own. Close out of this and adjust the parameters in the 'family types' to see if you have done it correctly. If you get lost along the way, the nested families and linking parameters sections in the revit help file is pretty good at explaining it. You will also want to utilize reference lines. I am enclosing a Folding Panel Partition that I created, I hope it comes through. I'm not sure if you have to have the shared panel file but I sent it anyway.

Good Luck,
Laura B
Tags (2)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report