Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Override Object Styles on a View

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
tonkata
2199 Views, 4 Replies

Override Object Styles on a View

I have added a 4 Panel Sliding Door from the standard Revit family. I would now like to only change the colour of the frame in lets say my north elevation. My understand is that this would be done by overriding the frame material via Manage>Object Styles>Doors>Frame/Mullion, then applying a new material.

I have made sure that my shade colour is set to the correct RGB value, and in my north elevation I have my Visual Style set to shaded.

Why am I not seeing the new shaded colour?

Door 1.JPG

Door 2.JPG

Door 3.JPG

Door 4.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
BIMologist_
in reply to: tonkata

Object Styles are global. i.e. they are top level of assignment as far as I understand. If you want to override the material only in the North elevation for an object , I am not sure this is the way to achieve it. Also the reason the object stlyes are not governing it is that your Object sliding Frame has a Material assigned in the Family, so what ever you do in Object Styles it is not going to override the assigned material in the Family. (see Type Properties in first image.) I don't think Materials are able to be overridden by view they are global.

BIMologist / Dr. Revit
Approved Autodesk Services Marketplace provider - BIM Consulting

EESignature

If you find this reply helpful, please use the Accept Solution or Like button below
Message 3 of 5
arunag

Materials cannot be applied view specific. If we want to see Two different type of material on the same door family, we normally duplicate type & have another type of door with a different material. You can choose to do this & see a different material but not in just one view, it changes across all views.

Aruna
School of Architecture
Ramaiah Institute of Technology
Bangalore
Message 4 of 5
tonkata

Thanks for the heads up guys. Then how do I tackle such a situation?

Let's say you are working on a alteration/addition project, where you "colorise" the construction materials in plan/elevations.

For example new brickwork shows red, timber yellow, concrete green etc...

Now let's say I need to create a schedule of finishes, where I duplicate the front elevation and change the colours of walls, door frames, window frames, parapets etc. Overriding surfaces like walls is easy, but anything that is a "family" like doors or windows has proven to be a challenge.

Taking into account both answers, am I then better off changing the door/window materials to "by category" within the family, which should then allow me to control their materials via object styles within the project?

I still don't feel this is the right way to go about this, which is why I ask how would you guys tackle such a situation?

Message 5 of 5
arunag

'Design options' tool can help you get different materials on duplicates of same elevations . ie for eg  North view duplicated twice, one showing option1 set of colors, another option 2 set of colors. But one should carefully handle the elements in 'design option' to avoid confusions.

Aruna
School of Architecture
Ramaiah Institute of Technology
Bangalore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report