Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Organising the project browser.

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
rientsbruinsma
5508 Views, 10 Replies

Organising the project browser.

I'm getting a little board of scrolling up & down all the time from plans to sections to elvations and back againwhile working in the same room.

Is it possible to organise the project browser in subsets of my own discription? ie group the views by room rather than by view type?

Can I also name the views so they are different in the project browser trhan they are on the sheet? On the sheets view names can be duplicated in the project, because the sheet refernce is unique. Otherwise I end up with stupidly long view names for each wardrobe section and I seem to need  to co-ordinate the view name with the reference (to make them unique) defeating the purpose of having Revit do the refenceing for me.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
CoreyDaun
in reply to: rientsbruinsma

rientsbruinsma wrote:

"Is it possible to organise the project browser in subsets of my own discription? ie group the views by room rather than by view type?"

Yep - at the very top of the Project Browser, right-click on "Views" and then select "Browser Organization". The following dialog will let you modify or create your own means of sorting the Project Browser. If you need to, you can create Project Parameters (applied to the Views Category) to further customize your list of Views.

rientsbruinsma wrote:

"Can I also name the views so they are different in the project browser trhan they are on the sheet? On the sheets view names can be duplicated in the project, because the sheet refernce is unique. Otherwise I end up with stupidly long view names for each wardrobe section and I seem to need  to co-ordinate the view name with the reference (to make them unique) defeating the purpose of having Revit do the refenceing for me."

You can - every View has a parameter call "Title on Sheet" which is located under each particular View's Properties. The value entered here will be what Revit will display in the View Title. If this value is blank, then Revit will display the View's name instead, which is default.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 11
rientsbruinsma
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks Corey.

It looks as though I can substitute "all" under views for a given filter, but not have multiple subgroups. It also appears that I can't create a filter using a wild card ie "*library*" which would group all the views relating to the library on one branch of the tree. Is this correct?

Ideally I'd like to have a branch of the tree for each room.

I got the title on sheet working- Thank you!

Message 4 of 11
CoreyDaun

That is correct; no wild card usage here. In this case, I would suggest either...

a.) Name your Views so that the "Zone" of the building is defined by the first two or three characters in the name, and then set the "Grouping and Sorting" in the Browser Organization Options to "## Leading Characters" instead of "All Characters".

b.) Create a Project Parameter, "Zone", as an Instance, Text Parameter for the Views Category. You will be able to enter a value to represent the "Zone" of the building, and then set the Browser Organization to Group by this Parameter.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 11
rientsbruinsma
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I think that filter along with the renaming the view on sheet differently, has got that one licked.Smiley Happy

Thank You!

Message 6 of 11
AVysotskiy

Hi BIMGrl !

You can easily use any sorting in Project browser: 

1. Right-click on Project Broser and select Browser Organisation

2014-01-29_231727.png

2. Create new organisation (Views - New)

2014-01-29_231744.png

* With Filtering you can use to hide a part of your views in Project browser

2014-01-29_231759.png

3. Go to Grouping and Sorting and define desired sorting, for example by Discipline and then by Family and Type, and click OK

2014-01-29_231819.png

4. Select your new organisation

2014-01-29_231826.png

You recieve something like this (in case you have views with different Discipline)

2014-01-29_231925.png

If you need to sort by your own parameter, which isn't exist in your project, at first you should create this parameter and then use it to sort your views

1. Go to Manage tab - Project Parameters

2014-01-29_231940.png

2. Say Add

2014-01-29_231946.png

3. Use this settings (you can use any name, of course)

2014-01-29_232035.png

4. Define new Browser Organisation with this parameter (the same way as above)

2014-01-29_232204.png

5. Now every of your views has new field Test (on the bottom)

2014-01-29_233747.png

6. Enter any data which you want to use for Project Browser organisation (I used Value 1, Value 2, Value 3)

Here's the result

2014-01-29_232255.png

For use non-unique view name on sheet you can hide default title (Viewport - No Title) and use Annotate - Text (fast solution)

2014-01-29_232456.png

Or try to create a new shared parameter and use it in your project and view tag (long solution). But I suppose this is another question Smiley Happy

Good luck!

Alexander Vysotskiy
CEO of Vysotskiy consulting | BIM trainer | University lecturer
Free BIM training courses (Russian only)
Facebook | VK | LinkedIn

Message 7 of 11
rientsbruinsma
in reply to: AVysotskiy

Alex. That's brilliant!

I can't seem to select multiple views int he Project Brower & edit the field for all of them at once - only the active view changes.Smiley Frustrated

Is there any way of populating the field quickly? 

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 11

It seems to do it now.Smiley Surprised

Message 9 of 11
taguilar

b.) Create a Project Parameter, "Zone", as an Instance, Text Parameter for the Views Category. You will be able to enter a value to represent the "Zone" of the building, and then set the Browser Organization to Group by this Parameter.

Corey D.

The second method (b) seems to only work with plans, sections, elevations, 3D views, and drafting views. It does not seem to work with schedules or legends. 

Message 10 of 11
AVysotskiy

rientsbruinsma ,

to select multiple views in Project Browser you should hold Ctrl buttom while you're selecting views.

Alexander Vysotskiy
CEO of Vysotskiy consulting | BIM trainer | University lecturer
Free BIM training courses (Russian only)
Facebook | VK | LinkedIn

Message 11 of 11
awessels

When working with hundreds of sheets and views i find myself wasting time on finding the correct view/sheet/family/group,

I have played around in organizing my browser by right click, but it doesnt make the content i need any less, SO...

can you assign a color these? If not this should be an added update, it would save me time and be more visually appealing. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report