Revit Architecture

Revit Architecture

Valued Mentor
IMCornish
Message 11 of 15 (278 Views)

Re: Openings and their inability to be phased

09-20-2012 05:23 AM in reply to: IMCornish

Thought I might add this note in regard to openings which I found on wikihelp.  Not phsing an opening but closing an existing.

See http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/index.php?title=Revit/enu/Community/Tips_and_Tricks/Modeling/Demolish_a...

Perhaps this, which is essentially a workaround, might be addressed by the developers also.

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Valued Mentor
IMCornish
Message 12 of 15 (275 Views)

09-20-2012 05:31 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo_Medina wrote:
What if the wall that hosts the opening is made not rooom bounding, so that the two adjacent spaces join?

Bit of a late response but this does not work because it denies the two adjacent spaces in the 'existing' phase, sorry to say.

I believe that, as a tool for alterations to existing buildings, sadly Revit is falling short of the mark in regard to phasing.  See also my other post in this regard:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-Architecture/Phase-Graphics-at-the-View-Level/td-p/3618...

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
*Expert Elite*
rosskirby
Message 13 of 15 (262 Views)

09-20-2012 11:44 AM in reply to: IMCornish

Whether or not you use a proxy object (like a door family) for an opening, or whether your model the opening in the wall, and the parts to be removed as separate pieces is largely a matter of the size of the opening and the intended relationship between the adjacent rooms.

Let's say, for example, that I have an opening between two rooms that is roughly the size of a door.  In that case, I would use an opening proxy family, and the two rooms which it separates would remain separate rooms.  I don't know that I'd ever consider a room "continuous" through an opening as small as a door.

As another example, let's say I've got an opening between two rooms that spans almost the entire width of the room.  In that case, I would model the opening in the wall by editing the profile of the wall, rather than use an opening proxy family.  I would also model any parts of that wall on either side of the opening that are to be removed as separate wall objects, and then demo them in the new construction phase.

I've done my fair share of renovation projects in Revit, large, small, simple and intricate, and have yet to run into a situation that requires me to do much more than what I mentioned above.  I think that the same is probably true in your case, and perhaps a little more experimentation is in order before asking that a specific tool be added to the program for a limited use.

All that being said, we're all here to help and learn, and if you have a particular situation where you've encountered a problem, and image is worth a thousand words, as they say, and in our field, I might even say it's worth substantially more.

Ross Kirby
BIM Manager
Arcturis
Valued Mentor
IMCornish
Message 14 of 15 (247 Views)

09-21-2012 03:30 AM in reply to: rosskirby

Ross, firstly let me say how grateful I am for your contribution, it is very welcome.

In reply to your second paragraph;

rosskirby wrote:

I don't know that I'd ever consider a room "continuous" through an opening as small as a door.

I have a particular reason to do this where I am extending an En-Suite by taking part of a bedroom but only removing the existing En Suite door leaf, leaving the frame, and wish to illustrate to our client the increased size of En Suite area and the reduced size of the Bedroom for their consideration.

In regard to your further comment;

rosskirby wrote:

As another example, let's say I've got an opening between two rooms that spans almost the entire width of the room.  In that case, I would model the opening in the wall by editing the profile of the wall, rather than use an opening proxy family.  I would also model any parts of that wall on either side of the opening that are to be removed as separate wall objects, and then demo them in the new construction phase.

Are you able to help me further with this one as I would like to understand you fully?  Altering the wall profile of an existing wall that is to have a substantial opening punched through it to join to rooms, will surely alter the profile of the existing wall even if it is altered in a new construction phase view. Also why would you model wall parts on either side of the opening to be demolished?

Lastly I would say, in defence of my cries to improve the software in these respects.  I believe that us designers should have intuitive software that creates the virtual model in the same way that the real building project would be undertaken since it would be a far more logical approach. When you break through the dividing wall between to rooms automatically the two rooms become one space.  This is waht I believe should simply happen in the software, because however you view it we are discussing workarounds here, aren't we?

Thanks again foryour invaluable help, it is much appreciated.

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Active Contributor
peterjegan
Message 15 of 15 (235 Views)

09-21-2012 08:27 AM in reply to: IMCornish

I think Alfredo's suggestion of making the demising wall non room-bounding is on the right track, but I would add this:

In the existing phase, place the demising wall and set it to non room-bounding. Place room separation lines on each side of the demising wall. (Ignore warnings about room separation lines in the same place as the wall.) This will give you two rooms in the existing phase.

In the new construction phase, demolish the room separation lines. The demising wall will still be non room bounding, so now your new construction phase will have one large room with the wall in the middle.  Place whatever openings you want in the demising wall, and it won't affect the room.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!