Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening a local file in shared work environment.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
arbharat
415 Views, 5 Replies

Opening a local file in shared work environment.

We are working in our office on a central model. the model is stored on a local server within the office premises. We are three people working on it. our problem is this when we open the central file on any of our computer "create New local" check box is inactive. but when one of us login as "Administrator" and then open central file in any of the remaining two computer the " Create New Local" is active. Can anybody tell us why this is happening and is there any way we can work with the file without loging in as Administrator.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
kevinmulvaney
in reply to: arbharat

We had this problem a few releases ago. I found was when we created a local copy unless we synchronized after the copy was made any other users local file got "confused" as to which was the real Central File. The create new local check box wasn't available and people had trouble accessing the central file.

Once you create a new local there isn't much need to create new copies for the same user. We generally Synchronize at the end of the day, and simply Reload Latest each morning to grab any changes made after we left the day before.

This keeps our load times down to a minimum and eliminates the problem you are experiencing by only accessing the Central file when absolutely necessary.

Kevin Mulvaney, CAD/Revit Manager
PKA ARCHITECTS
Portland Oregon
Message 3 of 6
rosskirby
in reply to: arbharat

It could be that people are accessing the central file via different paths (i.e. UNC pathing vs.named drives).  Make sure that everyone is using the same pathing, and it should be fine.  You may need to talk to your IT admins to coordinate which type of pathing is being used, and which one everyone should be using.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 4 of 6
kevinmulvaney
in reply to: rosskirby

The type of path is somewhat irrelivent, although I agree that all users should be using the same type, UNC vs Named drive.

We have all of our dives mapped, i.e. G:\Projects\<Client Folder>\<Project Folder>\Drawings\BIM\Central File.rvt. However if you look at the path in the synchronize dialog box the path is \\<Sever>\Projects\<Client Folder>\<Project Folder>\Drawings\BIM\Central File.rvt

Access the file to create it the first time may be path type dependant, but once Revit has a hold of it it paths it how it likes.

PKA ARCHITECTS
Portland Oregon
Message 5 of 6
rosskirby
in reply to: kevinmulvaney

@Anonymous wrote:

The type of path is somewhat irrelivent, although I agree that all users should be using the same type, UNC vs Named drive.

We have all of our dives mapped, i.e. G:\Projects\<Client Folder>\<Project Folder>\Drawings\BIM\Central File.rvt. However if you look at the path in the synchronize dialog box the path is \\<Sever>\Projects\<Client Folder>\<Project Folder>\Drawings\BIM\Central File.rvt

Access the file to create it the first time may be path type dependant, but once Revit has a hold of it it paths it how it likes.

That may be true, but if someone creates a central file and saves it by going to "G:\Projects\<filename.rvt>" in the save dialog box, then anyone else who wants to create a new local from that central file would have to go to the same path in the open dialog box.  If they go to "\\<server>\Projects\<filename.rvt>", then the "create new local" option will be grayed out, and they'll only be able to choose "detach from central".

We've had this issue when people create a shortcut in the "Places" sidebar that links to the Projects directory via the server path, and other people use a named drive path.  The OP needs to get with the IT admins and make sure everyone is using the same path type, regardless of which one they choose (I recommend the server path).

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 6 of 6
kevinmulvaney
in reply to: rosskirby

Gotcha, I was unaware of the path issue when creating the central file.

Thanks for the clarification, I'll keep that in mind when we set up new projects.

PKA ARCHITECTS
Portland Oregon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report