Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Placed at Mid-air

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
118 Views, 4 Replies

Open Placed at Mid-air

Hi, when I place an opening in a wall I always get a warning message that reads ' Rectangular opening doesn't cut its host ' and it's placed just floating in mid air above the wall that I picked to cut the opening.

What is happening?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you placing the windows in plan, elevation, section or 3D views? Are you copying windows in an elevation view from a wall that is in one plane to a wall in a different plane in the same elevation?

Mel Persin, AIA
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

I am not placing windows nor doors, however I have no problem with them. Just when placing 'Opening' using the Design tabs Modelling>Opening and then applying it on plan view is the poblem . I've found out that placing it in elevation view works, but now I'm curious to know why this is happening in plan view. Is there a Properties settings I need to adjust?

Thanks
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Two things u need to make sure for openings! I really dont like the way this feature works for openings in walls. But note these things down.

Firstly, whats the height of the wall Is it only from Level 1 to Level 2(Example) or is it from Level 1 to Level 7(Example). Secondly wat r the Properties of the Opening? Top and Base Constraints and the unconnected height.

I've found it easier to make a wall first, from Level 1 to Level 2, and then cut an opening in the plan. And then if required change the wall to go upto Level 7, and then copy the opening to multiple levels. This way, since the opening was made when the wall was only till Level 2, the property of the opening is always between two consecutive levels when copying to other upper levels.

However, if the Opening is made while the wall was from Level 1 to Level 7, and then tried to copy the same opening to multiple levels, it starts giving the error u mentioned.

So work on it abit, and you'll find a suitable way for yourself.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

I have tried to duplicate your experience with the opening tool. The only success I have is when I have multiple levels (1-4)with a wall created between level 1-2. When I work on level three or four in plan view my opening appears above the created wall.

My conclusion after checking the properties for this opening made on level 3 with a wall only one story high is as follows:
The opening for walls option tool creates a hole whose base offset is equal to the level you are currently working on. Since in plan view you do not have the option when placing the wall opening to set its element properties you can only place the length of the opening. So place openings in elevation, section or 3D views to display the height and length of the opening as you are placing it.

Mel Persin, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report