Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Building - Multiple Areas of Work

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
davidtetro
434 Views, 8 Replies

One Building - Multiple Areas of Work

How would one go about setting up a project in Revit where there are multiple rooms over multiple levels that need to be worked on?  There would be no reason t document the entire floor plan of each level as the rooms are not connected and they take up a small percentage of each floor.

The project is kitchen and bathroom upgrades and alterations but there would be no reason to draw the remainder of the floor plans.

has anyone tackled something like this?  I thank you in advance for any help.

David

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
vector2
in reply to: davidtetro

If you don't want to document some of the model elements

on a level, you can "hide" them.

But why would you work on parts of the model and not want

them documented?

Message 3 of 9
davidtetro
in reply to: vector2

There is no reason to document 50,000 square feet of model when the contract and scope of work deals with spaces that add up to less than a quarter of the entire building area.  Add to the fact that since these spaces are spread out throughout the building, it doesn't make sense, under this particular scope of work at least, to survey and document all that space when it is irrelevant in this case.

Revit is a great piece of software, but this is by far the largest shortcoming of it - at least for this case.  I want the power of the software to generate interior elevations of these spaces for millwork, finishes, schedules, etc.and therefore find the need to use Revit over CAD.  However, it is counter productive to have to generate an entire building (well two buildings in this case) for the sake of a small percentage of actual building areas encompassing the scope of work.

I cannot imagine I am the first Architect, especially at this stage of Revit's life, that needs to use the software in this fashion.

Message 4 of 9
vector2

stdesign,

I would like to keep your post on the side for regular review and

hopefully one of these days I can understand it better. But right

now what you are saying is over my head. Probably someone 

will come along who can respond to it. Sorry, but this one has

really got me stumped. I'm not an architect either, so that could

be why.

Message 5 of 9
davidtetro

I do not think that is the case - you sound like an intelligent individual.  Perhaps I am not being as clear as I can be.  Let me phrase the question this way...

I have two buildings that are connected.  We are doing interior alterations to several small spaces throughout the building.  I need to document each of the spaces where the work is occurring - but not the entire building (there are no existing conditions drawings available so I would need to survey and draft both buildings - a task that is not part of my scope of work).  So, I only need to create drawings of the 10 rooms that we are doing work in - not the remaining spaces of the building - approximately 80% of the buildings need not be documented.

How would I set up a project in Revit where I can draw 10 separate rooms as vignettes so I can set up my sheets with one or two rooms on a sheet along with their related interior elevations, notes, schedules, etc. without having to establish an entire building?

I am not too sure if this clarifies the question or not.  I do appreciate your attention so far, however.

Message 6 of 9
vector2

Well I can take some random jabs at what you are saying, and I will
be happy to do that, but just to remind you that I don't understand
what you are trying to do.

Revit only deals with ONE model in a project. Every view in Revit
is just a different view of the same model. You can have three
rooms separated by air space, but Revit sees all three as one
model. There are several ways to see only one of those rooms
in a view, but to Revit, all three rooms are still there as one model. 

I'm wondering if it's possible for you to post some kind of
image to help me get some more ideas about what you are
looking for.

BTW, learning Revit is nothing at all like learning to draw
lines on the computer screen instead of drawing them
on paper, Revit has a long list of concepts, and each one
is complex. But fun too.

Message 7 of 9
davidtetro

Thanks Vector2 - I love this program - been using it now for a few years.  Makes most of my drafting and design easy and fun.  I am still and AutoCAD Architecture junkie and have been using it since 2006.  But, I love Revit's ability to create schedules and interior elevations better than ACA.  However, I feel that AutoCAD Architecture has a better detail component system and their text tools are by far much better than Revit...we will see.  But, Revit is indeed much better in other areas than ACA - but I still do a lot of projects in it - I guess I am just a bit old school...

I understand the whole model concept and how Revit sees each level as a view.  But, interestingly enough, you brought up a good point - perhaps there is a way of creating scope boxes.  Creating all the rooms on their respective levels and isolating each room on each level with a scope box...

More on this later..If anyone has any other suggestions, I am open.

Message 8 of 9
jim5552

Not a lot of experience here... but I think I would create an overall plan with enough detail to satisfy the AHJ (building exiting, etc.) and to give the contractor an idea where the work is located. I would duplicate this view and adjust the crop view and scale and document the new work on this duplicate view. Alternatively, maybe you could use View>Callout>Floor Plan to create a new view at a different scale.

Hopefully this helps.

Message 9 of 9
davidtetro
in reply to: jim5552

I was just revisiting a few posts and came across this one. Just for closure...

The project consisted of toilet room upgrades - and just toilet rooms. So, I needed to produce the plans, reflected ceiling plans and interior elevations of those spaces. The remainder of the building was not included (so, there was no need to show every classroom, closet, office, etc. of the rest of the building - which was, in this case, irrelevant).

I was able to use scope boxes - I believe someone mentioned this as an option. This way, The scope boxes allowed me to isolate each toilet room independently.

This was the key that I was missing and now I know how to flesh out smaller projects within Revit without having to over-model unnecessary portions of a building if it isn't required.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report