Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Omniclass & UniFormat

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ari.mont
5744 Views, 4 Replies

Omniclass & UniFormat

Hi,

I'm exploring the object classification systems available in Revit. So, I'd like to know when I should use the Ommniclass or Uniformat.

I understand that the Omniclass can be used in loadable families and Uniformat in system and loadable families. But, I've not understood why the Revit has two diferrent classification systems.

Other doubt is: There is a way to customize the OmniClassTaxonomy.txt and UniformatClassifications.txt? I not found any documentation for do this.

Any help will be apreciated.

Thanks,

Ari

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tdd
Participant
in reply to: ari.mont

The two Clsaaification are not Revit But ISO classifcation systems. Uniformate is used for estimating projects before the bid stage. and the omniclass is used for orginizing specifications, pricing by contracting. staging work on a project, etc.. The revit txt files are comma delimated and can be edited in excel. I use the files from iso NOT THE REVIT ONES. I do not know how they got there clssifications because they do not match ISO. Hope this get you stated.

Message 3 of 5
smcgrady

e-SPECS uses these fields (and others) to create and coordinate specifications and keynotes/calloffs with the Revit model and families.  The question is - why are you adding this information?  If to automate and coordinate the specifications - start with the Uniformat classification and further specify the assembly using OmniClass, MasterFormat (keynote) or a number of other fields.  e-SPECS users also want to start with our expanded list of Uniformat classifications which have links to spec section(s) required to specify the assemblies.   If for estimating, Uniformat is also preferred.  If for another application, what input fields do they require? 

Hope that helps, Seamus

Message 4 of 5
g_bardales

Hi,
I have one question.
Im trying to change the OMNIclassTaxonomi.txt in revit 2014; but i can not find the path o change it to the newest vertion of OMNIclass list.
What could be the problem or what can i do to change the OMNIclass list?.

Message 5 of 5

Hi, there are 2 locations for the OMNIclassTaxonomi.txt in Revit 2015 (I suppose is the same path for Revit 2014) :

UserDataCache:

is located in C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2015\UserDataCache

Your user folder:

The first time a user launches Revit this file gets also copied in a second directory which is  locaded (replace USER with your own account/name) : C:\Users\<USER - use your name>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit 2015

When launching Revit for the first time, or for new account users, the file in the UserDataCache gets copied to the User folder. So if lauching Revit FOR THE FIRST TIME, you may want to change it in the UserDataCache. IF you have already launched Revit (meaning the file got already copied to Your User folder) you need to change the file in your User folder, or delete it there as it will be copied again there upon re-launching Revit. Repeat this process for each user on that machine.

As always with those things make a copy of the original file in UserDataCache or rename existing "OmniClassTaxonomy.txt" to "OmniClassTaxonomy_OLD.txt" or something meaningful to you.

Luck luck Smiley Wink

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report