Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Office Switching to Revit - Good or Bad?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
Z1NG3R
656 Views, 20 Replies

Office Switching to Revit - Good or Bad?

Hey all poster gurus out here. What do you think? Is transforming from AutoCAD Arch Desktop to Revit simple?

Concerned about the learning curve. If Revit is anything like MicroStation, consider me out. I really disliked MicroStation.

Zinger
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: Z1NG3R

How long did it take you to learn to use 10% of ADT's features? Divide that by 10 and that is the time it will take you to learn all of Revit. "Z1NG3R" wrote in message news:18524257.1103292425436.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hey all poster gurus out here. What do you think? Is transforming from AutoCAD Arch Desktop to Revit simple? > > Concerned about the learning curve. If Revit is anything like MicroStation, consider me out. I really disliked MicroStation. > > Zinger
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous

I would like to hear this too. I would like to hear critsims more so. I went to AU 2004 and had enough smoke huffed up my bum there. I would like some of the down to earth problems people have encountered, I know all the good about it already. "Z1NG3R" wrote in message news:18524257.1103292425436.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hey all poster gurus out here. What do you think? Is transforming from > AutoCAD Arch Desktop to Revit simple? > > Concerned about the learning curve. If Revit is anything like > MicroStation, consider me out. I really disliked MicroStation. > > Zinger
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous

Of course there *is* a learning curve, make no mistake about that. This curve will probably be steeper to an experienced ADT-user then it is to someone without any cad-experience. Undenieably you will have to invest some of your time in getting to grips with Revit, but once acquainted with it you will find that the process of building your design in Revit is easier and more intuitive then drawing it in ADT. To me the biggest obstacle in Revit is the creation of families, which is a bit more complicated dan creating a new style in ADT. The reward is that you have more control over the behaviour of the object then you do in ADT. On the plus side: scheduling is a breeze in Revit, while in ADT you have to create prop sets, schedule styles, labels... The choice is really up to you. If you are into designing, then Revit is perhaps your best choice. If on the other hand you need to produce technical drawings, then ADT still has the edge over Revit. Regards, Steven PS: For a living I support both customers using ADT and Revit (the latter unfortunately still being a small minority in this part of the world).
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous

> PS: For a living I support both customers using ADT and Revit (the latter > unfortunately still being a small minority in this part of the world). Where is 'this part of the world'? Where are you from?
Message 6 of 21
yangli

I think Revit gives a boarder range of design ability to architectures and save your working time at least 40%. However, the learning curve is hard especially when you try to learn it on your own. I'm experiencing it now. I am used to the AutoCAD method. When I switch to Revit, I become frustrated due to that I keep using the AutoCAD concept to do Revit. As my supervisor said, "See it as a new program rather than AutoCAD." In this way, you actually manage to solve the problem. It would be a bonus if the Revit sales representatives provide some free basic course to the user as technique support. 😃

Some problem I've encounter so far:
- cannot dimension from a point to another point.
- cannot create roof easily as we did in AutoCAD.
- when drawing walls, the dimension we entered is from the centerline rather than from the exterior face. it requires more work to make sure its temporary dimension is from the face of the wall.

That is it for now. i am sure there's more coming up.
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous

OK I'll take a shot at critisims. Our office uses both ADT 2005 and Revit. We are in the process of switching over to Revit entirly. This has been an on going process for 3 years now. I sure it could have gone faster, but so it goes. I was the last hold out to convert to Revit and am the most experienced ADT user. The first complaint I have is the interface of Revit seems confusing to work with. I often times froget to look at the line where it shows height of wall chain or not, whatever thet bar is called. Then since I forgot to look I get bad results and have to do the command over again. I addition to that on my screen for some reason thet bar is always cut off. I have a 17 in monitor and reun at a fairly high resolution but that bar is always cut off so I can't see all the setting anyhow. Second I don't like, I always seem to be stuck halfway in a command and find myself constantly pressing ESC to get out of it. This is easy to overcome but it just bothers me. Third, sometimes when you are zoomed in and drawing somthing the tempory dims are off the screen, what good does that do? Temp dims don't seem to be related to the items I want to dimension from. I think I can move them but it is always after the fact. I seems like Revit wants me to just place the item in the drawing close to where it goes, then select it, change the temp dimension locations and then get the object into the correct spot. Items seem to become linked parametrically for no reason. I once had to redo an entire kitchen layout because somthing in it was linked to a stair on the other side of the house and I could not find what it was. I really dislike the loading of families. It seems to take about 12 clicks to get where I want and then I am never even sure if the loaded object is correct. After using ADT pallettes to load objects I really want to see that functionality in Revit. Can't control the display of a single object instance. You want one wal to not be shown in a RCP for some reason, no way to shut off its visibility. I also have trouble creating view areas or whatever they are called where I only show one area of a plan etc.. They never quite get rid of everything. So there you have it a ew complaints and frustrations I have had while transitioning to Revit. I know with experience thse things will go away and there are wordarounds and ways I could do my work differently to minimize my frustrations. However, with all that said I think Revit brings a lot to the table and is definatly worth the time invested learning it and overcomming these frustrations. Jeff Hanson "AlmightySR" wrote in message news:41c2ebc1_3@newsprd01... >I would like to hear this too. I would like to hear critsims more so. I >went to AU 2004 and had enough smoke huffed up my bum there. I would like >some of the down to earth problems people have encountered, I know all the >good about it already. > > > "Z1NG3R" wrote in message > news:18524257.1103292425436.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... >> Hey all poster gurus out here. What do you think? Is transforming from >> AutoCAD Arch Desktop to Revit simple? >> >> Concerned about the learning curve. If Revit is anything like >> MicroStation, consider me out. I really disliked MicroStation. >> >> Zinger > >
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous

see comments below: > Some problem I've encounter so far: > - cannot dimension from a point to another point. Yes you can, hover over endpoint, hit Tab until endpoint hightlights, then click. > - cannot create roof easily as we did in AutoCAD. In AutoCAD or ADT? AutoCAD, its easy, just drawn lines....minght not be correct, but at least its drawn. Roofs are fairly simple in Revit, you just need some pointers and practice. > - when drawing walls, the dimension we entered is from the centerline rather than from the exterior face. it requires more work to make sure its temporary dimension is from the face of the wall. Change your settings for temp dims from centerline to face of core, or exterior face. Temp Dims are very flexible, check Settings menu. Temp dims can also become "Prmanent Dims." by clicking the icon that appears near them. Dimensions can easily be re-referenced to different points simply by clicking on the blue Handle poiints in a selected dimension. Keep going and asking questions!
Message 9 of 21
rookwood

I have had Revit since version 5 and never learned to use it. Recently a client requested a rendering of a project we were doing for him. I had just paid out $6,000 for a rendering done in 3D Studio Max and decided to try Revit. I searched for a local architect with Revit experience to do the rendering for me, with me along side to learn.

WOW. In just two weeks I am working alone in Revit and feel somewhat comfortable. It is different and occasionally I find my self thinking AutoCAD...a NO NO.

As an ex-homebuilder and designer, I still design upscale houses for my son's homebuilding business. It will take some time to learn the complexity of the design, but will be well worth it.

You have to reorganize youself in thinking how components are constructed (lego and erector sets) and not lines, arcs and non-intelligent blocks, as in AutoCAD.

One of the strangest obstacles is that Revit is intelligent and will second guess you, often correctly.

I have completed the tutorial inside Revit and purcahsed the Introductory Courseware book on Revit 6 from CDV Systems, Inc. I now feel I have enough knowledge to carry on by myself or enroll in an advanced course.

In summary, I believe that in six months I will have forgotten that AutoCAD and ADT ever existed. Everyone I have tkaled to who are using Revit will never go back. Learn it now or learn it later. BIM is the future.
Message 10 of 21
jmarchiel

depending on who you ask, you will get different answers on what is best. being an advanced adt user, and not as much experience on revit, i can offer the following points of view, from the other side of the fence.

Revit seems to be a great design tool. changes are much easier in revit then adt.

Adt is a better technical program. working drawings (i use it for school, restaurants, offices, cutom homes) can easy and since it is still a drafting program, line work and be used to create the details.

both programs have there merit. 5 years ago if you would have asked this question, i think revit would be the only answer. but today, i think that the programs are getting closer and closer. a lot of the features available in revit are appearing in adt, and a lot of the features in adt are appearing in revit. it all depends on how you work and who you work with. being in a region where all the engineers are acad, shipping a 3d adt model to them is easy, revit, not so.

learning curve is always an issue, and i think that revit is easier to learn at first. the thing i find about adt users is that they fear looking for answers to there problems. i learned adt by myself and once you explore your various options and menus, i found that the program is relatively simple (maybe not compared to revit), but after i week of experimenting, i could do a complete set for drawings for a single family residnece and be happy with the results. i know that i will here that with revit it is quicker, but it comes down to what you are more comfortable with. being a acad hand i feel adt is easier and more relialbe complete.

just one mans opinion.

justin
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous

A couple of questions for the ADT user 1. Are you aware of Revit's drafting environment that handles basic drafting every bit as well as Autocad/ADT? 2. Are you proficient with all (or most) of the tools and environments in ADT? Specifically Content Browser, Project Navigator, Design Centre, Sheet Set Manager, Viz Render, Layer Manager, Display Manager, Style Manager, Visual Basic, Detail Component Manager, Visual Lisp ... Honestly speaking, how long did it take you to master these? IMHO most ADT users barely use half the full capability of the software and this redundancy makes the software more bewildering and less productive I have to say, however, two important areas where ADT has the edge over Revit are its Detail Component Manager and its tight integration with Building Systems. "jmarchiel" wrote in message news:1166387.1104785338619.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > depending on who you ask, you will get different answers on what is best. being an advanced adt user, and not as much experience on revit, i can offer the following points of view, from the other side of the fence. > > Revit seems to be a great design tool. changes are much easier in revit then adt. > > Adt is a better technical program. working drawings (i use it for school, restaurants, offices, cutom homes) can easy and since it is still a drafting program, line work and be used to create the details. > > both programs have there merit. 5 years ago if you would have asked this question, i think revit would be the only answer. but today, i think that the programs are getting closer and closer. a lot of the features available in revit are appearing in adt, and a lot of the features in adt are appearing in revit. it all depends on how you work and who you work with. being in a region where all the engineers are acad, shipping a 3d adt model to them is easy, revit, not so. > > learning curve is always an issue, and i think that revit is easier to learn at first. the thing i find about adt users is that they fear looking for answers to there problems. i learned adt by myself and once you explore your various options and menus, i found that the program is relatively simple (maybe not compared to revit), but after i week of experimenting, i could do a complete set for drawings for a single family residnece and be happy with the results. i know that i will here that with revit it is quicker, but it comes down to what you are more comfortable with. being a acad hand i feel adt is easier and more relialbe complete. > > just one mans opinion. > > justin
Message 12 of 21
cynthiadsgn

No. Revit does not handle 2D drafting needs every bit as well as AutoCAD/ADT. Maybe for commercial but for residential that is just an overstatement or marketing hype. Every reseller and their assistant has told me this but at each demo when "true-life" situation are thrown into the show it just cannot keep up with AutoCAD/ADT.

Revit has some very nice qualities especially in the design and visualization arena. However, in our fast past drafting world revit might handle the basic drafting needs but it is just not fast enough to compete with AutoCAD/ADT for our complexity and short timelines.

I should hope that Revit and ADT can better co-exist in the future.

Thanks,
Cyn
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous

Hi Cyn, I've switched from an AutoCAD/ADT environment to a 100% Revit platform for producing my CD's and find there is no difference... Right out of the gate with little production experience in Revit the CD's were taking me as long as they did in ADT. I think the difficult part i had was learning what to do vs. what not to do. I'd be interested to here what specific problems you are having. -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "cynthiadsgn" wrote in message news:20717122.1104792861783.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > No. Revit does not handle 2D drafting needs every bit as well as > AutoCAD/ADT. Maybe for commercial but for residential that is just an > overstatement or marketing hype. Every reseller and their assistant has > told me this but at each demo when "true-life" situation are thrown into > the show it just cannot keep up with AutoCAD/ADT. > > Revit has some very nice qualities especially in the design and > visualization arena. However, in our fast past drafting world revit might > handle the basic drafting needs but it is just not fast enough to compete > with AutoCAD/ADT for our complexity and short timelines. > > I should hope that Revit and ADT can better co-exist in the future. > > Thanks, > Cyn
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous

Can you please give an example of something "true-life" you can draft faster in AutoCAD than Revit? I can understand if you are using ADT and the Detailing module, which is quite extensive as far as components. Revit needs a huge library of detailing components, (we have a small library that comes with Revit now) so hopefully we will get it in the future. But straight drafting, actually drawing pieces from scratch, I would think both programs are equally as fast. "cynthiadsgn" wrote in message news:20717122.1104792861783.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > No. Revit does not handle 2D drafting needs every bit as well as AutoCAD/ADT. Maybe for commercial but for residential that is just an overstatement or marketing hype. Every reseller and their assistant has told me this but at each demo when "true-life" situation are thrown into the show it just cannot keep up with AutoCAD/ADT. > > Revit has some very nice qualities especially in the design and visualization arena. However, in our fast past drafting world revit might handle the basic drafting needs but it is just not fast enough to compete with AutoCAD/ADT for our complexity and short timelines. > > I should hope that Revit and ADT can better co-exist in the future. > > Thanks, > Cyn
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous

I think you will find that many here diagree with on that point, I know for a fact that I can draft faster on revit that I can in autocad/adt. But saying that has no meaning, what's fast to you may be slow to some or vice versa.......perhaps a shoot out is in order ;) -Z "cynthiadsgn" wrote in message news:20717122.1104792861783.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > No. Revit does not handle 2D drafting needs every bit as well as AutoCAD/ADT. Maybe for commercial but for residential that is just an overstatement or marketing hype. Every reseller and their assistant has told me this but at each demo when "true-life" situation are thrown into the show it just cannot keep up with AutoCAD/ADT. > > Revit has some very nice qualities especially in the design and visualization arena. However, in our fast past drafting world revit might handle the basic drafting needs but it is just not fast enough to compete with AutoCAD/ADT for our complexity and short timelines. > > I should hope that Revit and ADT can better co-exist in the future. > > Thanks, > Cyn
Message 16 of 21
jmarchiel

i am aware of the features that you spoke about and yes i do use adt to it's full. i use all the features you spoke about (very limited visual basic i must admit).

I dont know if anyone will ever really master any of the features, but i do know that i have a great handle on them. it is just getting a good basic understanding of the program and then going into the really cool features.

i have been using adt for 1.5 years, and acad for 5 year before that. i think the biggest problem with users not accessing all the features is the mind set to never change. you get an old acad user to use adt and they grind to a stop. i am always telling the users to try different tools to accomplish various tasks. this way the program opens up to them and they start to use new tools and really make the program sing.

justin
Message 17 of 21
johnsonwwd

Can not agree with Victor any more.
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous

you are digging up some very old threads, i can't even find them in the
NR anymore! I have no idea what victor said?

johnsonwwd wrote:
> Can not agree with Victor any more.
Message 19 of 21
Anonymous

Something about Autodesk possibly buying out Revit someday... I dunno... 😜

--

Matt Dillon
Autodesk Architectural Desktop Certified Expert

View my ADT Blog "Breaking Down the Walls" at
http://www.modocrmadt.blogspot.com

"Christopher Zoog" wrote in message
news:4933290@discussion.autodesk.com...
you are digging up some very old threads, i can't even find them in the
NR anymore! I have no idea what victor said?

johnsonwwd wrote:
> Can not agree with Victor any more.
Message 20 of 21
Anonymous

LOL

Matt Dillon wrote:
> Something about Autodesk possibly buying out Revit someday... I dunno... 😜
>

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report