Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to change material

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
12606 Views, 8 Replies

Not able to change material

Anoter problem I'm finding, I cannot in some circumstances change materials. Attached file has a floor slab showing the problem.

I'm wanting to model a floor buildup, which has a timber deck on timber joists, on a concrete slab (it's a raised access floor). I'm trying to change the non-structural element 2, in the file set as 'insulation/Thermal barriers' to something like 'wood', but it simply won't let me. On a hit and miss basis I can change to something else, but not to the material I want it to be.

Similarly I have a wall with a lot of sweeps (my attempt to model a curved curtain wall), the single material in the wall is stuck on 'metal stud layer', I cannot change it to anything else, like a white aluminium.

Any clues from guru's as to what exactly is going wrong here? 

Again thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
LisaDrago
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello - I have opened your file and I do not seem to have any issues changing the materials...

So a few thoughts - is the material you want to change it to not available?

When you select the material in the edit assembly dialog box is it opening the material library?

Can you post an image of what you are seeing, since I cannot duplicate the issue?

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: LisaDrago

Lisa,

Thanks for the reply.

I hadn't realised you needed to load materials in first before you could then use them. I was selecting from the library of materials only, without loading them into the Project materials. Once I do that they are selectable and stick.

Apologies in advance for future such questions, where I am I'm the office-lead on learning Revit, so figuring out all the dumb things as I go...

Charles.

Message 4 of 9
LisaDrago

Not a problem - Glad to help out...

Have you take any training on Revit? If not I would strongly suggest seeing if your community college has a class - I know the semester here just started - I teach Revit at my community college.

Revit does not seem to be a good program to just pickup as you go. There is a lot to the program.

Again Just a thought...

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

I'm doing Paul Aubin's Lynda training which is good, but massively time consuming to sit through. I reckon 10 hrs of the videos requires 25-30 hours time to get through. Bit of an ask when you also have to work on active projects. By teh time I get through it I've half forgotten where I started...and none of the questions I want to ask are answered anyway.

Problem as always is like everyone else I'm under pressure to produce: having to do what I can in the office while having Partners breathing down my neck as to why I haven't produced their wildest dreams without understanding 1000% of the software, while also working on active projects, the ones that pay the bills. Oh, and am implementation strategy I should know about but which management haven't bothered to let me in on, as I'm just the idiot trying to do the implementation.

(Ever heard of how they did defusing bombs in WW2? The officers got training, but were too valuable to risk, so they sent out the untrained NCO's etc instead, who had to figure it out as they went along. The ones who got blown up were obviously doing it wrong.)

As usual, unrealistic expectations, unrealistic timeframe, minimal budget, and plenty of other things to do: where could it possibly go wrong? Oh, and changing the aims from being to model the building I'm using as a test bed only for planning an office furniture layout, to wanting a realistic 3D model with entourage so they can see if they can produce what they have seen in a catalogue somewhere.

Did I mention the last attempt to get Revit going in the office, before my time, fell on its face for the same reasons?

Thanks for your help though. I managed to teach myself ADT way back in 2004, bit of a slog and took massive amounts of my own time, I'll just have to do what I can, hope it doesn't go horribly wrong, though looks like I'm being set up for a fall...

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Hi. I have the same problem... I've tried all the advises i could find on the internet, and none of them worked. I've attached my file here, and i sincerely hope someone can help me.

It's a small file with several small objects, nothing special yet...
The cup on the table is the problem. I've merged two objects, and when i try to assign a material, they act as different objects : and now i can't assign any material at all.

I would just like to reset any material settings, and make that object clear, as it is when you're making it.
Can you help me 😄

Ps. this is a zipped file made in Maya 2015, extension .mb
Message 7 of 9
L.Maas

Sorry to not be able to help. You mention that you attached a zip file with a maya file.

This part of the forum is dealing with Revit Architecture.

Post your question in the relevant Maya forum,You will have better chance to get an answer to your question.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: L.Maas

oh my god... i was searching through several forums, i didn't even notice that this is not Autodesk Maya, but something else... though, the problem i have is the same as was described.

I apologize, sincerely, and I thank you for your answer
Message 9 of 9
tiberiom

Hello, I'm having a strange issue. when selecting materials for items such as wood etc I can duplicate the material and have access to another panel which contains a library of materials. however when attempting to create a custom material if I open the edit by right clicking. nothing occurs. which means I cannot change the patterns nor add a custom material texture.

is that a limitation of the student version?

-Marco

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report