Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOOB HELP WITH MODELLING - CURTAIN WALL PATTERN BASED WOES

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
gbfriedman
265 Views, 3 Replies

NOOB HELP WITH MODELLING - CURTAIN WALL PATTERN BASED WOES

Hi- I'm fairly new to Revit but I have tons of modeling experience with other software, which may actually be posing some problems...having trouble thinking 'revit' when it comes to making what should otherwise be very simple forms...

I just wanted to play with the pattern based panel family and I was trying to create offsets from the panel grid. I wasn't sure what the appropriate way to go about doing it in revit but I tried to create a simple ring beam at the edge which i was going to subtract from the base panel with. But I can't even get this ring beam going. In any other software this could be done by extruding two rectangles, nested in one another....how would you do it in Revit? Do i really need to subtract one volume from the other?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: gbfriedman

No. Try not to use voids if is not absolutely necessary. The method I recommend is this: create a generic model family, work-plane based, with the section profile of the beam as model lines, flat. Then, you load this family into the pattern-based family, and place the profile section (placement option should be by workplane) on the vertical plane of a reference point that is hosted on one of the reference lines, or on the vertical plane of one of the adaptive points. Then select the profile, and select the reference lines that are included in the template. That should generate the "ring" element. If you need to modify the ring, open the profile family, edit it, load it again, and overwrite.

If you are new to Revit, this might sound complicated, but it is not so hard, once you get the idea.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 4
gbfriedman
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I appreciate your help. I guess I would have thought that I could do the same sweep with geometry in the same workspace, but apprently I first need a profile - is what you're saying. that's unfortunately highly unintuitive...if you're sketching and want to quickly test stuff out, having to leave the model space is a real drag

the other thing with using the sweep for what i'm after - if it's using the reference lines as its path then my offsets will be consistent on all fur sides. if i want control offsets PER SIDE, how would i do this? Can i just give a dimesion offset from the reference linework?

Message 4 of 4
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: gbfriedman

Extruding a nested profile is not mandatory. It's just a suggestion. It allows you to make changes to that profile in its own separate file, in 2D, instead of trying to edit the profile in a 3d view. It also helps you to manage those offsets that you need in an easier way, just by moving the profile from the origin point, in its original file.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report