Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nO aUTOCAPS? (aND oTHER pOINTS OF pAIN)

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
amason43
844 Views, 17 Replies

nO aUTOCAPS? (aND oTHER pOINTS OF pAIN)

Ok, I've been following the forums / blogs for awhile now, and have done a few tutorials here and there.  I finally get to do a project in Revit, so naturally the first order of business is to set up the titleblock.  Naturally.  .-)

Issues thus far, in no particular order:

I can't find where I turn on AutoCaps.

Text has no insertion point?  This boggles the mind.

I can't create a line segment shorter than 0.03".  Our company logo has some curves that were previously approximated by a number of straight line segments in AutoCAD.  Am I going to need to use an embedded image?  If so, what format and quality should I use so it doesn't look horrible and doesn't cause performance issues?

I've searched for answers to these issues, but there seem to be none.  Maybe some of these are resolved in 2011?

Anthony Mason - CAD/BIM Manager
Nichols Melburg & Rossetto Architects + Engineers
Blog: Daily Occurrence
AutoCAD Architecture 2008 SP2 / Revit Architecture 2011
Microsoft Windows XP SP3 / Google Chrome
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
cvandevere
in reply to: amason43

@amason43 wrote:

Ok, I've been following the forums / blogs for awhile now, and have done a few tutorials here and there.  I finally get to do a project in Revit, so naturally the first order of business is to set up the titleblock.  Naturally.  .-)

Issues thus far, in no particular order:

I can't find where I turn on AutoCaps.

If you mean capitalizing the first letter of each word then that feature is not available but if you just want all text capitalized turn on cap locks. The only work around that I think of is type in MS Word, convert using the capitalize each word feature and then copy and paste into Revit. Sorry otherwise you are going to have to type and Shift. 

Not sure what your are looking for here. When I choose text and click on a location somewhere on the sheet a text box opens.

I can't create a line segment shorter than 0.03".  Our company logo has some curves that were previously approximated by a number of straight line segments in AutoCAD.  Am I going to need to use an embedded image?  If so, what format and quality should I use so it doesn't look horrible and doesn't cause performance issues?

If your company logo is created in Autocad then just use the Import CAD feature under Insert.Use it as it is and don't explode it.

I've searched for answers to these issues, but there seem to be none.  Maybe some of these are resolved in 2011?

CDV
Message 3 of 18
amason43
in reply to: cvandevere

@cvandevere wrote:

If you mean capitalizing the first letter of each word then that feature is not available but if you just want all text capitalized turn on cap locks. The only work around that I think of is type in MS Word, convert using the capitalize each word feature and then copy and paste into Revit. Sorry otherwise you are going to have to type and Shift. 

Not sure what your are looking for here. When I choose text and click on a location somewhere on the sheet a text box opens.

If your company logo is created in Autocad then just use the Import CAD feature under Insert.Use it as it is and don't explode it.

No, I don't mean using Title Case, I mean having every letter be capitalized.  I'm working on it, but I'm not an advanced typist so I look at my keyboard while typing.  Look at the title of this post and you'll see the problem this causes.

I'm looking for a text insertion point that is *precise* - not just eyeballed.  In general, I don't really care but on something like a title block it's important to me to be able to snap to geometry, and align that point to the [Top/Left, Top/Center, Top/Right, Middle/Left, Middle/Center, Middle/Right, Bottom/Left, Bottom/Center or Bottom/Right] justification of the text.  I feel like I'm using AutoCAD R13 when it comes to text.

Thanks for the tip on leaving the imported CAD portion of the logo.  I'll see how that goes.

Message 4 of 18
vector2

solution..
Message 5 of 18
amason43
in reply to: vector2

Did you even bother to comprehend the question?

Message 6 of 18
cvandevere

Try placing a reference line in your title block exactly where you want the text to go then move or nudge the text string into position on the reference line.

CDV
Message 7 of 18
amason43
in reply to: cvandevere

Yeah that's what I figured.  Here's to hoping I won't have to 'eyeball' physical portions of my buildings...

@cvandevere wrote:

Try placing a reference line in your title block exactly where you want the text to go then move or nudge the text string into position on the reference line.

Message 8 of 18
vector2

wHAT wAS tHE qUESION?
Message 9 of 18
amason43

@Anonymous wrote:
wHAT wAS tHE qUESION?

"Does Revit have a function that causes all text typed in to be all capital letters, independent of whether the system Caps Lock is turned on?"

I think I have the answer.  I just think Revit's text formatting and use capabilities are severely lacking, especially since I remember reading not too long ago that that they were vastly improved.

Message 10 of 18
vector2

why would you need a Caps Lock switch in revit when you got one on your keyboard?
Message 11 of 18
amason43

@Anonymous wrote:
why would you need a Caps Lock switch in revit when you got one on your keyboard?

And I repeat - "I'm working on it, but I'm not an advanced typist so I look at my keyboard while typing.  Look at the title of this post and you'll see the problem this causes."

Message 12 of 18

Many of us n the work environment run several writing applications at once. With AutoCAD having an AutoCAPS function in the Mtext Edtior it's very easy and convenient to switch from something like writing Emails in Outlook or documents in Word,where you dont' want to type in ALLCAPS, to creating Mtext within AutoCAD that appears in all uppercase.

It's not an unreasonable request for those of us in the business environment that run multiple applications in real world use to want to have an AutoCAPS function in Revit. Sure the CAPSLock key is on a keyboard, but it's sure nice not to have to use it if you don't have to...it's way to easy to switch to another application and to start typing quickly, only tofind you've left your CAPSlock on....

Message 13 of 18

OPPS- I LEFT THAT DARN CAPS LOCK ON AGAIN.. hey wow- i got this great idea.. write a letter to microsoft and suggest that they put a caps lock switch in their Word program so when you are done typing your all caps letter and you go into revit- you won't forget you have the caps lock key on..
Message 14 of 18
lawrencerobinson5

When you move or drag anything in revit you get alignment lines that will temporarily appear, use that to precisely line up your text. 

As far as the caps issue I'm with the other guy, it's called "Caps Lock".  Why would they add a redundant feature to Revit when it is already such a heavy program?  I mean the arguement that hitting the caps lock button would be somehow cumbersome when switching applications is ridiculous.  I mean for anyone using common hand positioning for typing the caps lock button is just one away from "a" where a finger is anchored.

If you can't think outside the box a little I'm amazed you are a CAD manager.  As a CAD manager myself I know that thinking outside the box and looking for solution, not reasons to complain, is my job.  The other CAD users in the company already do enough complaining, they don't need to come to someone for help that will just say "the program sucks".

Lawrence

Message 15 of 18

Yes, you can precisely line up your text - WITH OTHER TEXT.  Nevermind though.  I've resigned myself to eyeballing, as I am not all that resistant to change.  If that's the way it is, that's the way it is.  No point letting it get me down, but I will keep it on the wish list.
You mention 'common hand positioning' yet you seem to have missed my comment that I'm not a great typist - yet.  I'm working on it.  That said, a lot of folks in this profession are worse typists than I am, so I still think it's a valid request, and one that Autodesk accommodated in AutoCAD a decade ago.  Apparently they thought it was valid too.
By the way, thanks for questioning my capability to perform my job based on one post totally taken out of context.  If I were complaining and not looking for a solution, do you think I would have posted here?  Interesting that you consider me to not think outside the box because I question functionality.  Apparently we have opposite definitions for the term...
I happen to really like Revit, and the more I use it the more I like it.  I know that as we implement it I will get plenty of comments about how much it sucks, but that's nothing new - I get the same thing about AutoCAD.

@lawrencerobinson5 wrote:

When you move or drag anything in revit you get alignment lines that will temporarily appear, use that to precisely line up your text. 

As far as the caps issue I'm with the other guy, it's called "Caps Lock".  Why would they add a redundant feature to Revit when it is already such a heavy program?  I mean the arguement that hitting the caps lock button would be somehow cumbersome when switching applications is ridiculous.  I mean for anyone using common hand positioning for typing the caps lock button is just one away from "a" where a finger is anchored.

If you can't think outside the box a little I'm amazed you are a CAD manager.  As a CAD manager myself I know that thinking outside the box and looking for solution, not reasons to complain, is my job.  The other CAD users in the company already do enough complaining, they don't need to come to someone for help that will just say "the program sucks".

Lawrence

Message 16 of 18

I question your abilty to think outside the box because you seemed more concerned about how it doesn't work like autocad than looking for a solution.  This is true in terms of caps as well as alignment.  If you can't figure this simple issue out for yourself then you are not thinking outside the box.  The average CAD user is not terrible at typing so my comment about hand postioning will apply to a large majority of users.  Just a tip, if you're so sensitive about your inability to type then take a lesson online or something.  I'd be a little embarassed too if I managed something computer related and couldn't type.

Lawrence

Message 17 of 18
vector2
Message 18 of 18
amason43

Free solution:

http://www.typingweb.com/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report