Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie question - Revit WBLOCK-like command

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1306 Views, 7 Replies

Newbie question - Revit WBLOCK-like command

How can I share everything I create in a project with a friend or be able to use it in many projects? Something like WBLOCK of AutoCAD. For example I make a wall having brick, plaster, gypsum board and free space for electric cables. I will need this kind of wall in some different projects. Do I have to create it every time? I guess not! Regards, Dimitris
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Dimitris, IN Revit you have project template files. These can be used to store standards such as the ones you are talking about. If you start a new project using the template, you will automatically have the wall types you use in your project. If you need to transfer the wall into a new project, open the file you created the wall in (including the template if that is where you store it) and you can Transfer Project Standards to the new project. If you select to transfer walls, your wall types will be in your new project. Greg "JTB" wrote in message news:41388b1b$1_3@newsprd01... > How can I share everything I create in a project with a friend or be able to > use it in many projects? > Something like WBLOCK of AutoCAD. For example I make a wall having brick, > plaster, gypsum board and free space for electric cables. I will need this > kind of wall in some different projects. Do I have to create it every time? > I guess not! > > Regards, > > Dimitris > >
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

You should spend some time creating a template file as Greg talked about. You can set up template files for different type projects, residential, commercial, etc. It can be a real time saver to not have to load in families all the time. Another easy way to get a wall from another project is to just open the project that has the wall you want, copy and paste into new project. Greg Cashen wrote: > Dimitris, > > IN Revit you have project template files. These can be used to store > standards such as the ones you are talking about. If you start a new project > using the template, you will automatically have the wall types you use in > your project. If you need to transfer the wall into a new project, open the > file you created the wall in (including the template if that is where you > store it) and you can Transfer Project Standards to the new project. If you > select to transfer walls, your wall types will be in your new project. > > Greg > > > "JTB" wrote in message news:41388b1b$1_3@newsprd01... > >>How can I share everything I create in a project with a friend or be able > > to > >>use it in many projects? >>Something like WBLOCK of AutoCAD. For example I make a wall having brick, >>plaster, gypsum board and free space for electric cables. I will need this >>kind of wall in some different projects. Do I have to create it every > > time? > >>I guess not! >> >>Regards, >> >>Dimitris >> >> > > >
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

JTB wrote: > Something like WBLOCK of AutoCAD. There is a WBLOCK like command in Revit. Simply select a bunch of stuff, and then make a group. You can then go to the File -> Save to Library -> Save Group. Then you can save that group out to a separate file, which you can then bring into other projects. You can also use the Transfer Project Standards tool to copy settings & standards from one project to another (like the design center in AutoCAD, but simpler). Simply open two Revit projects, make one active by opening a view from it, and then go to File -> Transfer Project Standards. It will let you pick the other Revit project you have open, and then pick what you want to pull out of it to add to the project you have currently open. This works with Template files too, so if you've got some standards you made within a project that you want to add to your template for future jobs, this is the vehicle for that... Jeffrey McGrew
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

What about revit using ADT idea of tools - in ADT you have a pallette that you load tools - styles with properties set so i can have the special wall i have made and set at 4500h etc and just drag it onto the drawing from the toolbar - but the toolbar is universal - doesn't matter which project i have open It seems like ADT has used many concepts from Revit so whay not the other way? Ken "Jeffrey McGrew" wrote in message news:413de194$1_3@newsprd01... > > JTB wrote: > > Something like WBLOCK of AutoCAD. > > There is a WBLOCK like command in Revit. Simply select a bunch of > stuff, and then make a group. You can then go to the File -> Save to > Library -> Save Group. Then you can save that group out to a separate > file, which you can then bring into other projects. > > You can also use the Transfer Project Standards tool to copy settings > & standards from one project to another (like the design center in > AutoCAD, but simpler). Simply open two Revit projects, make one active > by opening a view from it, and then go to File -> Transfer Project > Standards. It will let you pick the other Revit project you have open, > and then pick what you want to pull out of it to add to the project > you have currently open. This works with Template files too, so if > you've got some standards you made within a project that you want to > add to your template for future jobs, this is the vehicle for that... > > Jeffrey McGrew
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Thank you Jeffrey, I think I understand perfectly and it seems to work fine this way. BTW, I see that everyone (incl. me) wants to compare Revit commands and technics to AutoCAD's or ADT's similar methods. I think that the idea is to learn to do things in the "Revit way". Of course it is nice to be able to use the old and well tested tools of the oldest CAD software but the first thing I can see in these few days of using Revit, is that I have to forget my 15 years experience of AutoCAD because it is easier this way. Also we should give Revit a chance to present something new instead of adopting the existing methods of other programs because CAD software is not only a good GUI. I has to be a thinking tool... ? "Jeffrey McGrew" ?????? ??? ?????? news:413de194$1_3@newsprd01... > > JTB wrote: > > Something like WBLOCK of AutoCAD. > > There is a WBLOCK like command in Revit. Simply select a bunch of > stuff, and then make a group. You can then go to the File -> Save to > Library -> Save Group. Then you can save that group out to a separate > file, which you can then bring into other projects. > > You can also use the Transfer Project Standards tool to copy settings > & standards from one project to another (like the design center in > AutoCAD, but simpler). Simply open two Revit projects, make one active > by opening a view from it, and then go to File -> Transfer Project > Standards. It will let you pick the other Revit project you have open, > and then pick what you want to pull out of it to add to the project > you have currently open. This works with Template files too, so if > you've got some standards you made within a project that you want to > add to your template for future jobs, this is the vehicle for that... > > Jeffrey McGrew
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

JTB wrote: > Thank you Jeffrey, I think I understand perfectly and it seems to work fine > this way. No prob. > BTW, I see that everyone (incl. me) wants to compare Revit commands and > technics to AutoCAD's or ADT's similar methods. I think that the idea is to > learn to do things in the "Revit way". Of course it is nice to be able to > use the old and well tested tools of the oldest CAD software but the first > thing I can see in these few days of using Revit, is that I have to forget > my 15 years experience of AutoCAD because it is easier this way. Also we > should give Revit a chance to present something new instead of adopting the > existing methods of other programs because CAD software is not only a good > GUI. I has to be a thinking tool... I was like that too when I first started, and there are still a few very minor GUI things from Autocad I wouldn't mind to see in Revit. The Tool Pallet idea doesn't really apply, but I'd love to be able to 'float' the Design Bar & Project Browser over the drawings, with semi-transparency and auto-hiding, like the tool pallets in Autocad. When I used to teach Revit, I'd have people all the time wanting the tool to be the same, and it was only when I got them asking themselves as to why AutoCAD/ADT works a certain way, and they then relise that there is no real concrete reason for why the AutoCAD way is 'right', it's just what they are used to and what's grown over the years as opposed to it being well thought out at the beginning, that they started to think about things a little differently. However I think you're dead-on about seeing what else they might be able to come up with instead of mirroring AutoCAD/ADT. AutoCAD and ADT are prime examples of what NOT to do with a GUI, IMHO, and looking toward Macromedia or Adobe's wonderful, consistent, and well-organized GUI's for inspiration I think would really make Revit sing. > > > ? "Jeffrey McGrew" ?????? ??? ?????? > news:413de194$1_3@newsprd01... > >>JTB wrote: >> >>>Something like WBLOCK of AutoCAD. >> >>There is a WBLOCK like command in Revit. Simply select a bunch of >>stuff, and then make a group. You can then go to the File -> Save to >>Library -> Save Group. Then you can save that group out to a separate >>file, which you can then bring into other projects. >> >>You can also use the Transfer Project Standards tool to copy settings >>& standards from one project to another (like the design center in >>AutoCAD, but simpler). Simply open two Revit projects, make one active >>by opening a view from it, and then go to File -> Transfer Project >>Standards. It will let you pick the other Revit project you have open, >>and then pick what you want to pull out of it to add to the project >>you have currently open. This works with Template files too, so if >>you've got some standards you made within a project that you want to >>add to your template for future jobs, this is the vehicle for that... >> >>Jeffrey McGrew > > >
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

NO PALLETTES IN REVIT! IMHO that is just a mess of technology following the solution looking for a problem concept. The Revit 'pallette' is windows explorer. Just drag and drop from there. Explorer is universal - doesn't matter which project or even software I have open. "Ken" wrote in message news:413e911f_2@newsprd01... > What about revit using ADT idea of tools - in ADT you have a pallette that > you load tools - styles with properties set so i can have the special wall i > have made and set at 4500h etc and just drag it onto the drawing from the > toolbar - but the toolbar is universal - doesn't matter which project i have > open > > It seems like ADT has used many concepts from Revit so whay not the other > way? > > Ken

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report