Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Wall Opening in Existing Wall

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
croundy
3338 Views, 4 Replies

New Wall Opening in Existing Wall

I've got an existing CMU wall that I want to cut a new Opening in (just an opening - not a door). I used the opening tool but it doesn't seem possible to give an opening phase characteristics. The phase of the opening is automatically set to existing and is not editable.

I can think of two work arounds.
1. Cut the wall into 4 peices and demo the one piece where I want my opening to be
2. Make a new door family that is just an opening and cut the wall that way (then the opening has door characteristics and I have to adjust schedules, etc.)

Does anyone know how to give an opening a new construction phase when it is cutting an existing wall?

Thanks,
Cortney
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: croundy

Hi Cortney,

There is "Cased Opening" family available in Door folder with Revit Architecture default library. If you will just delete the casing and load into your project then it will solve your problem.
This is located inside the door folder but it is not a kind of Door Family and it is just an opening. You can't place it on the wall using Door tool but you have to use "Component" tool to place on the wall. While you will extract the schedule it will automatically go under Opening category and you don't need to do any adjustment.

Regards,
Sivate Hussain
Satellier Inc. Edited by: sivate.hussain on Apr 16, 2009 2:09 PM

I forgot to mention that you can change the Phasing too.
Message 3 of 5
croundy

Thanks, your post was very helpful. I ended up just creating a new generic wall hosted family that was simply an opening in the wall which is what the Revit cased opening family appears to be.

Thanks for your help,
Cortney
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

You are most welcome cortney!

Regards,
Sivate Hussain
Satellier Inc.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

I know this is an old post, but on your demo sheets does it show up correctly as a having that portion of the existing wall being demolished?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report