Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Revit, toolpallets available?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
EfficiencyRestaurantDesign
500 Views, 7 Replies

New to Revit, toolpallets available?

Hi all,

I'm a restaurant designer by trade and I have been using AutoCAD 2013 to draw the structures, insert doors/windows, inserting kitchen equipment from toolpallets ect. Moving to revit would cut my work time by at least 25%, if I can have an option of creating a Toolpallet with all of my equipment inside.

Is this possible? Does any option like it exist on Revit?

Any Help is appreciated. Thanks alot.

Warmest regards,

Jon

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Yes , it is.

Architecture >Component >Place a Component

In the top of Properties Palette opens a thumbnail and the name of the last object inserted (family object) expand the right  black arrow and the list with all the loaded families will appear as thumbnails and the names will appear....

If you have not the desired family loaded , then in Modify /Place Component >Load Family...

There are also some pluggins made by third parties that are doing this job more handy...

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 8

The best method is to make a Template for Restaurant Buildings in which to load all the families needed.

Then ,use this template anytime you need to design a restaurant. Working on the project you can purge families that you don't use...tihs in order to have not an extra large file...

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 4 of 8

Thanks, I'll try doing this tonight. Any recommendations on popular brands making these plugins?
Message 5 of 8

go in Infocenter Bar ( where is the the Help menu too), click on X symbol (Exchange Apps) and you will find there some useful applications, many of them free...

for your purpose  can be: 

• Smart Browser from Tools4Revit
  • Family Categorizer and Family Browser from Kiwi Codes

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 6 of 8

Ok, so I've realized how naïve I've been and what I got myself into with Revit. All of my toolpallet Restaurant Equipment (ovens, mixers, freezers, griddles, tables, broilers, refrigerators etc.) are in 2D, Im pretty sure this makes a difference when attempting to turn all of this equipment into a family on Revit? Can I import these drawings and use them as a 2D inserts on floor plans? or is it necessary that I construct 3D drawings of all of my equipment? (I have 100's of 2D pieces). How do I go about this process?

Thanks

Jon
Message 7 of 8

yes you can..

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 8 of 8

there are two ways :

1. Insert > Import CAD directly in the Project - you can insert the 2 (or 3d) dwg in any view
  2. Make a Family in which insert the dwg file

Definitely , in your case the second method is the suited one because you can see the tool palettes of the new Families

The steps:

• from Aplication Menu (big R) > New Family > Select Template > Metric (in my case) Generic Model (Entourage Furniture, ori any other Category you want to assign your object)
  • In Family , in the adequted view ( plan , elevation , depending what you 2d view is) : Insert >Import CAD > align the imported to the refence planes , if an elevation view check from Properties>Other> Allways Vertical 
  • Load into the Project
  • go in Project file - the family object will appear now in the list and you can drag and drop it into you view ( do it in Plan view)

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report