Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Revit Architecture

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
chisoxfan
437 Views, 4 Replies

New to Revit Architecture

Greetings,

I am a long time AutoCAD user and just started using Revit Architecture 2012 and have a quick question. When dimensioning a room (width or length) that is say 40'-6 5/8", is it possible to "change" the fractional dimesion to a decimal dimension (ie. 40'-6.625")?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ccollins
in reply to: chisoxfan

Welcome.

Yes--you can change Project Units to display in decimals.

Do a search about dimension styles, Project Units, etc. in the Help/Wiki.

And since you just arrived--please try to throw out all of your "AutoCad " ways of thinking, and begin thinking in terms of

BIM---Modeling and Information being the key aspects---instead of "drawing and drafting".

As you delve into Revit further, you will see what I mean.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 5
chisoxfan
in reply to: ccollins

Greetings,

I found where to chage the dimension settings, however I am still having problems getting the desired results.

Currently I have a room that is dimensioned as 40'-6 5/8" (Feet and Fractional Inch).

I can change this to Decimal Inches and get 486.625, or I cange this to Decimal Feet and get 40.55'.

However I cannot seem to get "Feet and Decimal Inch" to get 40'-6.625"

Is this possible?

Thanks,

James

Message 4 of 5
ccollins
in reply to: chisoxfan

I'm not sure that is possible?

May I ask, why would you need to dimension like this?

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 5 of 5
chisoxfan
in reply to: ccollins

I work for a manufacturing company which builds "panels" to fill a room. The "panels" that are built are a maximum of 4'-3" wide. Our production facility uses the drawings showing the "panel" sizes and quantities. The machines they use to build the components uses decimal dimensions to get parts cut to length. So for a "panel" that is 3'-9 5/16" they would enter 9.3125 for the inches, which is currently what out AutoCAD drawings show.

Thanks,

James

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report